1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker or Gibson for Hardcore?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rorenijan, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Rorenijan

Rorenijan

Mar 23, 2007
    Hello!
    I want to buy a new bass and I've been thinking and a ric would be really nice, I like the sound and all but it feels so... big. I play in hardcore-band and we are kinda crazy on stage. (If you know who the dillinger escape plan is you know what I mean by crazy)
    Then I thought about a Gibson sg, I don't know much about the sound except from what I've heard from people. Gibson has a smaller body and I like that but is Gibson the bass for hardcore/metal type of music?
    We are playing Drop D.

Thank you for all your help!

2. Personally, I'd go with a Fender P bass.

Darn near indestructable.

SG's are notorously weak at the headstock/neck interface. Many of them have snapped.

So, for durability and good meaty tone, go P bass.

3. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The Gibson is Short scale and drop D would not really work as the tension is already low on a shortscale.

4. It seems that you can spend some money on your bass ... My suggestion for a very nice hardcore bass is a Musicman Stingray.
    (But if I have to chose between a Rick and a Gibson, I would chose a Rick)

5. Rorenijan

Rorenijan

Mar 23, 2007
    True, I guess Gibson isn't a good choice then. But isn't there a long scaled Gibson SG?

6. Get a Kubicki Ex Factor---it has a drop-D tuning and sounds great with a variety of styles due to the active/passive pickup setup. If you lower the tuning on a short scale neck like the SG bass, the strings get too floppy. Check out www.kubicki.com

7. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    No, not with the SG Reissue. There was a eb-3L in the 70's and Epi made a EB-3 that was long scale, but I do not think that is what you would need or want.

8. Rorenijan

Rorenijan

Mar 23, 2007
    Ok, then I'll skip the Gibson.
    Music man then, I think I will go and try one. I had one in mind before but then I got stuck to the Ric.
    How is the Music man sound? anything special?
    I liked Ric cause when I tried it before the sound was pretty dirty. Any big diffrences in the sound between the 4001 and 4003?

9. Drucocu

Drucocu

Jan 24, 2007
    no, not much difference, the new 4003 (since 2006) have the capcitor mod in it, this means you can have either the capacitor on the bridge PU (more trebly sound) or without cap, (more meaty sound).

I'd say, the rick is always a better choice! IMO / IME / YMMV

10. P bass or the rick. (See DFA - not hardcore but heavy and mad too :D)

11. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    I think a Rick, P, or Stingray are all good basses for that genre. The P is the simplest and the cheapest while the Ray and the Rick have a tone all their own. Maybe try to get a used Ray or Rick and a used MIM P? That's how my brain works at least.

12. +1 to the Stingray. It's tough and it sounds absolutely killer.

Buy a wide strap and some strap locks!

13. =1 on the kubicki, plus there is one for sale right now in the TB Bass section...

14. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Rick

15. I've played a Rick in hardcore and metal bands for years. Go with the Rick.

16. arjune

arjune

Oct 8, 2006
    SF, CA
    You can't go wrong with a P Bass. I was using a Jazz for hardcore for days, and it just wasn't working out. That low end thump of the P Bass is just perfect for the style. I had to switch it up and order a L2K off the classifieds here so that I could get some more meat in my tone.

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I would say look at what the bassists of your favorite bands are playing. Likely P's but all 3 are good choices with the RIC being 3rd IMO.

18. BlueShox

BlueShox Registered Turtle Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2007
    West Columbia, SC
    The Dillegner Escape Plan's bassist uses a P, as far as that genre goes I haven't seen much variation from a P-bass.

Buy a P-bass, you likely won't be dissapointed.

19. arjune

arjune

Oct 8, 2006
    SF, CA
    Actually, he's sponsored by G&L these days, and before that, he used jazz basses with D-tuners.

20. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY

Go with the Rick. Awesome bands (Like Tool) used Rickenbacker basses in Drop D. Check out my myspace for the awesome Rick sound, works well with metal :]