1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker or Thunderbird... you decide for me.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rayzak, Dec 14, 2006.

1. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    My 2 main sources of GAS is for these basses.
    Well, for Xmas, i'm going to finally be able to get one for myself. I keep going back and forth between them.
    Which do you prefer, and why?
    Well I play rock n roll, of course:bassist:
    Talk me into one or out of the other.
    Thanks.

2. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    T-bird.

Very versatile with either pickup or both pickups rolled on or off, finger-style, thumb/pop or pick. Thunb/pop is a bit more of a challenge, but can be done. Pick tone is killer.

Pickups are H-O-T, and neck is fast and lean (that may go for the Rick too, though-it's been a VERY long time since I've had one of those in my hands).

3. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Personally i like your other two basses way better than the ones you listed, but from those two i say get the Rick, i really like the look of those and i've never liked Gibson's basses.
    IMHO.

4. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    I have a rick, but i'm in the gas also fot the TB...anyway...pick the rick

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    If it were me, I'd get the Ricky.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Get the Ric. You won't be sorry. I've been playing one for about 15 years, and I'm still in love!

7. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Tbird. The new ceramic pickups make them alot more versatile than they used to be. Plus they look like they are made to rock, I dont really know what Ricks are made for.

8. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    you have a tough decsion to make. are you buying new or used? with new, you'll probably be able to get your hands on a T-bird a little easier. both are fine basses so I don't think you can go wrong with either. the 'bird might be the better choice for variety, given the other instruments you own.
    I just picked up a 2001 Ric but a T-bird is very high on my wish list. it was a matter of timing for me. I can wait for the 'bird, but I will have one someday. good luck!

9. Tough decision... The rick has a trademark tone, nothing can get close to it. Buy a rick, and get a epi t bird after a few months.

10. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    DON'T get an Epi Tbird, they sound like crap compared to the real ones. If you buy an Epi, you better stick new pups in it right out of the gate.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Rickenbacker of course! I love them but I'll never be able to justify buying one myself (too much of a fusion player!). Have one for me!

12. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    thunderbirds are awesome, just be aware they are very very long and the headstocks are kinda fragile(not really a problem if you arnt jumping around)

13. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    If there was a fire in my house and I could only grab one bass, it would be the Ric...wouldn't even have to think about it. They're also an incredible value, IMHO. Just the case that comes with one is great.

14. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Wow!! Thanks for all of the replies so far.
    I'm leaning towards the Ric. But I will own a T-Bird some day too.
    Does anyone actually play their Ric with the pickup cover on? It looks sooo good that way, but I'll probably have to take it off. Just like I had to do on my '57 RI P when I had it.
    A Ric, a T-Bird, and some type of Lakland with Darkstars and I think my GAS will be cured forever. Well.... someday i'll need to give fretless a try as well, but... first thing's first.
    Keep 'em coming fellas(and ladies if you're around here). The T-Bird's not out of it yet.:bassist:

15. Wow, that`s a very tough choice as those two basses couldn`t be any more different. I mean, all mahogany, humbuckers, regular scale length vs. all maple, single coil, 33.25" scale. All they have in common is that both a neck through, it seems.
    I once had pretty hard GAS for both as well and I ended up going for the Ric. What convinced me in the end was that the Thunderbirds were neckdivers(at least unmodded) and that they don`t come in Midnight Blue. I don`t regret my choice one bit, the Ric is all I could ever hope for in a bass. In the end you probably won`t go wrong with either but I`ll recommend the Ric as well.

16. braun-jovi

braun-jovi

Mar 25, 2004
    Evansville, IN
    Funny, I went to get a Gibson and walked out with an Epiphone. The two examples that I played that day sounded very similar with the Epiphone have more high end bite (could have been played less, thus fresher strings). I liked the neck better on the epi, it was beefier. It's the limited edition epiphone in white that was offered a year or more ago. Maybe it was hot rodded a bit more than a regular epipone? Saved me a lot of cash! I'd try a lot of T-Birds if you can.

by the way, they both needed some work setting the neck, intonation, fret levelling, etc. I wasn't that impressed with either of them in that regard.

All of that being said, I also have a Rickenbacker and they are MUCH different basses. They are on different planets sound wise. Also, It has been MY experience that the Ric's I've played have had better craftsmanship than the T-Birds. Just an opinion. Try both before you buy.

17. I'll help here.

You know when you hear rolling thunder off in the distance? That's the sound of a Thunderbird.

You know when lightning strikes waay too close, and all you see is a green flash with a loud, deafening "BANG"? That's the sound of a Ric.

18. Eyjo

Eyjo

Apr 29, 2006
    Reykjavík Iceland
    Be sexy, get a Ric.

19. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'd get the Ric.

Just about the best hard rock bass tone available.

20. I agree....I love my Jazz bass too but if I could only take one it would be the Ric