Rickenbacker/P Bass pickup comparison: Seymour Duncan SBP-3 vs SRB-1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Naggon, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Naggon

Naggon

Nov 8, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey all,
    So, I recently picked up a Rickenbacker 4003. Up until now I've been a dedicated p-bass player, and I love my Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound SBP-3 pickups. I got the Rickenbacker because I found it for a great deal, and I've always secretly coveted one (who hasn't?). So far, I love how it plays, how it feels, and most of how it sounds - but there's something that feels like it's missing, perhaps a bit of the trebly or high mid bite I got from that SBP-3.

I know you're gonna say 'well, a Rickenbacker will never sound like a p-bass', and I understand that, of course. In many ways I like the Ricky sound better - much nicer bottom, way tighter low mids - but is there a way I can get the best of both worlds? Has anybody tried the Seymour Duncan Basslines SRB-1 for Rickenbacker? Or, does anybody have a favorite Rickenbacker bridge pickup that they'd like to recommend? FYI, I'm playing heavy rock in a 3 piece, so I like a bit of a dirty sound with channel gain and a some of that metallic fresh string 'clang' sound, too. Think Geddy Lee and Steve Harris meet Lemmy...
    Thanks!

2. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I found the SDs to be too far from the Rick tone to my liking.
    I had them in my '77 4001 which was always a bit darker sounding.
    The wiring was trashed when I got it, so I got a control harness from RIC, and after the SD experiment I found a bridge pup on ebay and had the neck pup rewound to 1970s spec since it was almost dead.
    The current RIC pots are 330k, and the bass is still not as clear as I'd like.

What you may be looking at is maybe swapping pots to gain a little more brightness.
    Probably the easiest and cheapest method.
    The stock Higains should provide plenty of bite and clang.

3. Naggon

Naggon

Nov 8, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Nobody's had a chance to compare the two pickups, hey? Do most of you just stick with the stock Ricky pickup cus it's great as is?

4. Naggon

Naggon

Nov 8, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Oh, the pots! That's actually a fantastic idea that I hadn't thought of. Thanks Kcole!

5. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does your Ric have the "Vintage tone control" push/pull pot? If not, I would recommend trying the vintage wiring in your bass- the 4001 had a capacitor that cut the bass and low mid frequencies from the bridge pickup, so with both pickups on you could blend in more bite by dialing in more bridge pickup. The capacitor also eliminates a lot of the midrange cancellation that you normally find on dual pickup basses like Jazz basses with both pickups on all the way.

6. BuckHaggard

BuckHaggard

Nov 15, 2013

What was it you didn't like about them? I'm looking to try out the SD Rickenbacker neck pick up. How does it go for aggressive tones? I want something gnarly I can push through my pedal board.

7. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    if you want gnarl get a thunderbucker ;-)

to those who don't know, lemmy's early rickenbastards had thunderbird pickups in them...

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021