Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker pick up replacement?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Aug 4, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Have a question about pickups so I decided to ask my knowledgable friends at TB, anyway I own Rickenbacker 4000 series, basically its passive with a single pick up (no neck pick up). The sound is a little thin and I do not want to risk routing out a new hole for a neck pick up and damage the bass. I researched the Rickenbacker website, I know they make active basses now and I was considering changing the pick up to an active for more kick but also trying to keep the Rickenbacker sound. Does Rickenbacker make active pick ups that would fit in a 1978 4000 series? Is there another brand comperable? Is there possibally a good passive pick up that kicks butt that I could use as well? Most importantly I want to keep that classic Rick tone! thanks

2. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Rickenbacker does not make active pickups or preamps.

If you have one of the real old ones with an actual original horseshoe pickup, you should be aware that they were not high powered when new and they often become partially discharged and lose output.

If you have one with the button-top polepieces, what Rickenbacker calls "hi-gain" pickups, they are wound much hotter today than they used to be. You might try just replacing yours with a new one.

The humbucking pickups found in the 4004 basses are about the same output as today's hi-gains, they sound very good and Rick-like but nothing sounds like a single-coil Rick.

Bartolini and Seymour Duncan offer drop in replacements, they are good pickups but they don't have traditional Rickenbacker tone.

3. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    The 4000 series haven't been made in a while to my knowledge, so you may want to think twice before messing around with a vintage instrument. You may be better off selling it at a premium and buying a used 4003 or 4001 on ebay.

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The 4000 series haven't been made in a while to my knowledge, so you may want to think twice before messing around with a vintage instrument. You may be better off selling it at a premium and buying a used 4003 or 4001 on ebay.

--------------------------------------------------
    Good point, I could always pre amp it or get a DI and juice it up a little bit because the overall tone is good and it's so playable, maybe your right. The bass was made in January of 1978.