1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker pickups - which models exist?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stealth, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    While researching all the glorious pickups around the net (seriously, that part of my Bookmarks already dwarfs the rest of it...), I found a mystery I can't solve.

Of all the pickups I found on the Ric page, I found four total models.
    Can someone correct me if I mixed them up?

Toaster:
    [​IMG]
    Horseshoe:
    [​IMG]
    Hi-gain:
    [​IMG]
    Cheyenne Humbucker:
    [​IMG]

Are there more? Are there less? Any chance of knowing which went with which (aside from the twin-humbucker Cheyenne)?

2. I believe there was a difference in impedance of the toaster reissue.
    Check rickresource forum for the details.

3. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    The toaster and Horseshoe went on vintage 4001 basses and on the vintage re-issues, V63, C64, C64s.

The newer hi-gains go on the newer 4003's.

The humbucker's go with the 4004 series.

You cant get the Horseshoe anymore, and most of the others are usually out of stock and very hard to source.

I hope this is helpful.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    The current pickups they sell are the toaster, high gain, horseshoe, and hb-1.

- The toaster is a single coil scatter wound pickup with 6 alnico magnets wound to about 6 or 7k ohms.
    - The old high gains were 8k ohms. The new ones are 11k ohms. The 4003s5 high gain bridge pickup was 15k ohms. All high gains are single coil.
    - The modern re-issue horseshoe pickup is a single coil pickup wound to about 11k ohms. It has 4 alnico slug magnets. The original horseshoe pickup was a single coil pickup wound to about 6.7k ohms. The horseshoe had magnitezed steel shoes. The old horseshoe pickups were prone to degausing so they are no longer made.
    - The hb-1 is a dual rail dual coil humbucking pickup that is wired in series like a p-bass pickup. It measures 15k ohms.

Pickups they used to make ...

- hb-2 there was a single coil and a humbucking version of this pickup. It was used on the 200 series guitar and the 2000 series basses. The single coil hb-2 pickups are 8k ohms and the humbuckers are 15k ohms. The hb-2 pickups were used quite unsuccessfully on the 4004cii5. The dual rails are 2 1/4" wide and the strings were spaced 2 3/4". The end result was effectively a 3 string bass. Bummer!

- the 4002 pickups these looked similar to the hb-1 and I think they were humbuckers.

- the 3000 and 3001 pickups these are similar the the hb-2

Rickenbacker pickups are hard to find. Rickenbacker either doesn't sell the model at all or it is consistantly out of stock. Getting spare parts for a Rickenbacker can be a real challenge.

5. Hi Ric5,
    If my memory is not misleading me, I remember you wrote on TB that a guy from Europe (Portugal?) was making ric PU clones. How can we contact that guy? Thanks

6. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Yes, having a 4002, its pickups, which were only made for the 4002 and nothing else, are split coil, or end-to-end humbuckers with each coil picking up two strings, like a Bart or Dimarzio J & Ultrajazz. They are wound with 44 gauge wire, and my neck pickup has @ 9kohms' worth of wire on it, and the bridge pickup, with its interleaved supplementary "lo Z" winding feeding an auxiliary XLR jack, has @ 7.5kohm's worth of primary windings.

The bass sounds more midrangey than it should in its stock configuration, because both pickups have an in-line .01 capacitor, which cuts below @ 150 Hz. I put a push-pull in mine to the neck pickup to have the option of the stock capacitor or the more useful direct to controls, and it did all the world of difference, giving all the low end and clarity back.

I'm considering adding a push-pull to the bridge pickup as well so I can choose between the .0047 inline capacitor which is stock on the 4001/3 and the 4002's .01.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale

Go to the RickResource forum ... Sergio hosts a section about pickups there.

I have one of his pickups in my 5 string Ric.

8. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    segiosilva@netcabo.pt