Rickenbacker + Punkrock = Crab?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Toetsi, Apr 17, 2003.

1. yes, very well!

34 vote(s)
  2. oh, hell, no!

3 vote(s)
  3. what the **** are you posting threads about?

9 vote(s)
  1. what do you think imaging this little sweet bass playing punkrock? do you think it fits or do rickenbacker basses sound more like a double bass? i dont know rickenbacker basses very well, but they look great and seem to be very comfortable.
    thanks for wasting your time at my thread

greets from switzerland
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I could never understand something..

Why do people associate styles of guitars and basses with a musical genre?

I mean, people seem to associate P basses, Les Pauls, and Strats with punk...

Then Gretsch with country..

It kinda ticks me off.

When I see a p bass, i do not think punk. I think growl. When I see a rick, i do not think of a genre of music, i think of a tone.

I would just as soon use a 8 string frettless in a punk band as i would any other bass as long as it sounded good.

bah... i forget what i was ranting about...
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Les Pauls? In Punk?! hmmm, I haven't seen that before. :confused:

A Rick would be perfect for Punk tonewise IMO. It's a very in your face bass... but It might be considered un-punk because they tend to cost a lot... REAL punks should be buying Rouges or Squiers... 200 or under, THAT'S PUNK. :D What do I know though. Yeah I heard a pop punkish band with a bassist sportin' a Rick, sounded great. Ricks cut through like a knife... which is good for any hard rockin' genre.
  4. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    When I think of Rickenbackers (which I do almost daily) I think of bad@ss RocknRoll looks combined with uncompromising (one dimensional), aggressive tone. Whatever you want to call it...metal, punk, hardrock...Whatever...it's all RocknRoll. Ricks are great for all kinds of rock. BUT....The exact same thing can be said for P and J basses and many Rick players have played both Fenders and Ricks.

The Jam
    The Clash
    Motorhead (rick only)
    The Buzzcocks

I'm sure there's more out there but the above 5 bands cover a broad range of Rock and all have used Ricks (not sure about The Buzzcocks...sounds like a Ric is used sometimes but I could be wrong). Hope this helps....Rock On!
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Go watch a few Social Distortion videos... LP's or copies are all over the place. I'm not talkin about the LP basses, guitars.
  6. I think it fits.. And no, ricks don't sound like double basses at all.. Their tone is totally opposite.. They produce a very particular mid range sound.. Very of its own.. their tone reminds me a lot to the sound of acoustic guitar bronze strings, but with more punch and with a more solid bottom.
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't want to sound like I'm bashing Punk or stereotyping anybody, but a lot of the punk bassist I see, don't have very great technique. (Not saying all of them, but a lot of them do) The thing with Rickenbackers is that bad techinque shows up very easily on them. They could be one of the reasons you don't see them in punk.

*please don't flame me, I didn't say all punk bassist have bad tech* :D
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

errr... any other examples? LPs I usually associate with... anyone but punkers. I dunno why.
  9. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    LiquidMidnight! HERE COMES THE FLAMING!!!!!

just kidding!

You are absolutely right about poor technique showing up really well on a Rick...unless you change out the single coils with SD Humbuckers...kinda helps hide it. It did for me for years. :D

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Yeah man, real crab, the crabbiest!
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Billie Joe (Green Day) Uses a les paul from time to time..

I'm pretty sure I've seen the pennywise guy using one in a pic or 2...

Sum41 has LP copies... so ya.

(Don't go on about how un-punk sum41 are please.)
  12. Sum 41's pretty much only used Fernandes and PRS's. And Pennywise are sponsored by Ibanez pretty much. Fletcher may have some LPs. But I don't think he's played them on any of the records.

Rancid pretty much all play Les Pauls. Social D (as mentioned) the Angry Samoans, Avail, H20 for a while. Bad Religion, Dropkick Murphy's the list goes on.

Les Pauls are almost an integral part of punk's sound. Especially the street-punk/oi/'77 punk "sub-genre" it gives a nice dirty, full sound.

For Ramones-esque/hardcore a lot of people use Fenders because of the bluesier sound.

And Emo bands usually use SG's...cuz that's emo.

Of course, they're not exclusive, punk's just play what they like.

PS: Social D used Rickenbacker basses, so do (did?) the Dillinger Four. They've got great twang, but they're expensive so they're uncommon.
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    True, sum41 is big on ferndandes and PRS (I just saw them last night.)

But most of the time, dave was playing a PRS Les Paul copy...

Derryck had a Tele and the bassist... I'll let you take a wild guess on that one.

One thing to say to you Matt: HA!
  14. I dont necesarily relate Les Pauls to punk, nor any other guitar or bas smodel to any other style.. But I've seen alot of punkers playing LPs and also SGs-- I mean LOTS.. Actually LPs are the most common guits used by punk bands in my area..
  15. mick jones used a les paul and so did whatsisname from the sex pistols.

anyway, yes a rick will work great for punk.
  16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    As would any of JT's monsters. It's all in the playing and sound, not the looks.
  17. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    The bass in your attachment doesn't appear to be a RIC, but a copy. I can't see the truss rod cover too clear, but I know those aren't RIC pick/ups.
  18. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I usually associate LPs with heavy metal. They have that huge sound that seems to fit. My guitarist plays one, and so does his hero, Zakk Wylde. I generally associate strats, especially with stickers on em, as a popular punk guitar. same with Ps.

but anything can be used with anything, no matter what. In fact, my bass teacher was playin a DB at a gig at a jazz recital thing at UMA, and he just all of a sudden popped a nirvana song as a solo....forget which, but it sounded really cool!
  19. As Will said, Patrick from Dillinger Four uses a Rick:

I don't remember too well, but from the shows I've gone to he's never used his Rick onstage. It was either a P or a J. I could understand that as they are expensive (for a "punk bass"), and he's usually running around drunk onstage. Easy enough to break it that way. But I know for sure that he has used it live before as there are pictures of him at shows using it.

Anyway I think Ricks are great for punk. Actually I think any bass will be great for punk as long as someone puts some time into making it sound good. Hell. I've seen guys use double basses. While I don't think they sound bright enough against a typical loud guitar or two(the double bass easily gets lost), they're refreshing amongst the millions of P-basses.

Les Pauls in punk? I see them used all the time. Besides the ones mentioned Strung Out also use Les Paul guitars. So does Dillinger Four, Nobodys, and countless other bands. (Trying to remember if Leatherface uses them.) Though the most popular are probably Strats, LPs are damn common. Strats, LPs, and SGs are probably the most common order of guitars in punk.

- Chris McDougall