Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker pup question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Mar 17, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Is the pickupcover removable on the 4001v63 and the 4001CS horseshoe pups? Some say it is and some say it isn´t. So, whos right? I´ve read somewhere that on the reissue horseshuepup the magnet doesn´t go round the strings like on the originals and therefore it is possible to remove the covers.
    I´d like to know this before I consider buying a used 4001v63 I have my eyes on.

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Jock,

Rumours from reliable sources say that soon there will be no more Rickenbackers distributed in Europe. Their distribution has already been discontinued in Germany.

You should be aware of that before buying a Rick, since in case you'd need customer service in the future, this could cause some problems.

However, Ricks are generally fabulous basses. Mine is currently for sale, though. Here's a pic :

[​IMG]

It is in MINT condition.

More info on request at <a href="mailto:jaylanb@hotmail.com">jaylanb@hotmail.com</a>

All the best,

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    bump;)

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  5. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Jock, I've read about this before...

You can remove the 'shoes', but you'll need spacers to put in place of them, since it's not really a 'cover', but an integral part of the pickup... you should be able to pick up some nylon or aluminum spacers at any hardware store. You'll need two, I think 1/8" thick.