1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker question-worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by poorbassist15, Mar 14, 2013.

1. http://www.musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=1320234

Since I really can't find anyone that will hold a Rick for me, I'm considering buying this and getting the neck bow fixed. Does this bass seems like it's worth saving, or should I move on and find another?

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    If the problem is actually the truss rods it is a very good deal. Truss rods will cost you $50 I think and installing them is not a big deal.

Like I said, IF that is the only problem.

3. I think I'll call and get some more details. I don't have any experience at all with dual rod basses, so I wasn't sure.

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Double truss replacement is around $300-400 in my parts. Could be more depending on what's wrong with it and what's involved to get it done...

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    A neck through bass with a neck problem ... I would avoid it.

6. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Rick truss rods can be replaced without removing the fretboard. If truss rods are the only problem it's easy and cheap to fix.

7. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
  8. Hi.

You really need to ask yourself a very simple question: Is the said company in business of monetary loss?

Fixer-uppers sure are tempting, but unless You're capable of performing the fix yourself, it's always going to cost more in the end than an eqvivalent used (insert an item of Your choice here).

Regards
    Sam

9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    They probably have high tension strings on it too. I bert you they didn't think of loosening them either.

People don't realize that when you adjust the necks on a Rick you have to physically bend the neck, and then tighten the rods. You can't always just twist the truss rod and expect it to move the neck.

With lighter gauge strings, and maybe some heat while having the neck clamped, it should straighten up.

The truss rods shouldn't need replacing unless the threads are stripped.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Manual neck adjustment is limited to 4001. This is a 4003.

11. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    It's true of all truss rods on all instruments. More so on the 4001 because the rods where two thin prices of aluminum.

And when they don't want to adjust, you have to clamp the neck and adjust them.

I was lucky that my two 4001s never had neck problems.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Hmm. I have heard of people resorting to that on 4003, but I never thought it was the norm and I never knew it applied to all guitars/basses.

Learn something new everyday.

13. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    If you are just giving your rod a little tweak, like we all do, then it's fine. But if you have a bow going on, you have to clamp it first. Otherwise you might end up over tightening the rod. I've seen them break like that.

14. this is what the store sent me:

"Thanks for your email. The neck has a heavy front bow. The truss rods are tight as if the bass were in adjustment. Its not necessarily a truss rod problem but the neck is infact permanently bowed. If you have any other questions, give us a call at the shop."

Is this even remotely close to right?

15. I always thought it was the 4001 that required the neck bend to set the rods.

16. I may actually just buy a body/neck and put one together. I think that's doable for about $1100.

17. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    If you are gonna spend that much save up a little more and get a new one with a warranty. They go for 1500 at some places and probably cheaper if you look around.

18. I found one here on TB for $1350 which is more than reasonable, but it's the fact that I actually prefer older 4001s because I've played a few from the late 70s and early 80s and I adore the neck shape. New ones just feel chunky to me.

If you find a store that is selling a new 4003 for $1500, I'll be one of the first in line to get one. That seems like almost a miracle.

19. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    I received a new Ric with a bowed neck and brought it to my tech. He told me that every Ric he's worked on that had arrived in that condition was problematic. I sent it back the same day and got another one, this time from Pick of the Ricks and it's amazing.

Ricks are hit or miss, no in-between, IMO.

20. So it would be in my best interests to avoid this one?