Rickenbacker Question!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings

Is it true that Rickenbacker necks start to square off after the F#? :confused: If so, does anybody have a picture looking down the neck, and how square does it get?
  2. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    What do you mean square off? And which F#? Do you mean it just turns into a big block further down the fingerboard towards the body? Hell no. It is a bit blocky however right near the headstock. Well, maybe not blocky, but it's really big because of the contour back there. It takes a little getting use to.
  3. GL, that "contour" that you refer to as blocky adds strength to the headstock. You wouldn't want that headstock to break off so easily, don't forget that's a neck through body constructed bass. Repairing a break is much more tricky (if possible, depending on the break) than un-bolting the old neck and then bolting on a new one.
  4. RedVette

Jan 1, 2005
    Medford, OR
    I keep seeing this "blocky" thing mentioned about Rickenbackers. I have a 4003 and a 4004 which are definitely not blocky. In fact, they are more comfortable to me than the Fender Jazz that I seldom play any more. I think the Rickenbacker shape is better, even though the neck is a bit wider at the head end.