Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rickenbacker question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Aug 18, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    [​IMG]

take the photo as exemple. i'd like to know if there is another version of the way rickenbacker made their famous bass. i'm speaking about the hole under the pickguard for the electric cables of the neck pickup from the pickup switch. the one in the photo has a trasversal hole, but i have seen other rics made in a different way. to see what i mean you have to remove the pickguard. there is not a single trasversal hole but the space for the cables is made with several verticals drill holes that united make the path for the cables. can you tell me something more?

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    The way Rickenbacker routed out the wiring harness on 4001-4003's was to vertically drill holes linking them together to create a channel for the wiring harness.
    My 72 4001 is like this. Rickenbacker don't drill the path anymore because they have newer C&C machines that now cut out the harness path in the wood.
    I also own a number of Hagstrom basses from the 60's & early 70's. It's interesting to note that the wire harness channel found in them was cut out by a C&C machine. My point is, that the technology was available back then, Rickenbacker hadn't bought into it.
    Cheers