Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker questions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassAxe, Oct 6, 2002.

1. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I was in a music store today. They had a Rickenbacker bass hanging on the wall behind the counter.

"Cool!", I said. "I've never actually seen a Rickenbacker before. I'd like to try it out."

The guy working there gave me some line of B.S. about how they don't let anyone play it, that Rickenbackers are like museum pieces and that if it even gets a scratch, it is all over. Serious inquires only.

How the hell am I to know if I want to buy a bass unless I can actually play it first? Okey, I didn't have the $1,200 on the tag to spare, but. . . so what?

Is this for real, or was he smoking crack?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, there are collectors that want their basses mint, but I think he's smoking crack. Did you look like a serious buyer or a wanker?

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If you are a serious collector Im sure you wouldnt mind asking them to direct order a new one from the factory so they can get an imaculate bass that wasnt a floor model.

Peace
    Nick

4. And unless it's some crazy vintage model, I doubt it's really much of a collector's item yet. Unless you yourself were smoking crack as you walked in, he's the one with a problem.

5. First of all, you want to buy it.

That settled, that's ridiculous. I mean, while I do make a little Monty Python and the Holy Grail Castle Anthrax noise (no, not *that* noise--the noise of the shining Grail--get your minds out of the gutter) when I open my 4003 case, it's not like I don't play the hell out of it when I've got it out. It's a musical instrument, not a sculpture.

Sounds like Nigel Tufnel to me: "Don't touch it. Don't even look at it."

6. The last couple of weeks I've been insanely angry most of the time (something about eighteen years of repression finally coming out will do this to you...), and accordingly I have been playing the absoloute s**t out of my 4003. And I mean seriously just whaling on it with a .73 dunlop, about 1" from the neck pickup towards the bridge. What a frigging sound! It seems to sound better every day! Even when I'm not whaling on it!

Conclusion - Ricks like a little rough action now and then.

--jeff

7. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    First of all, it's a bass guitar. It's not an Indian head nickel. I don't know what is so special about Rickenbackers, but then I've never played one. I've seen pictures. I saw the one behind the counter. I think they all look ugly as hell. It's the Pontiac Aztec of bass guitars, in my opinion. But I am not going to be playing it with my eyes.

It's a bass guitar. It is meant to be played.
    No, I didn't walk in wearing an Armani suit.
    No, the balance of my bank account doesn't have that much to spare, at the moment, but the guy in the store would have no idea of that.

The only way I'd ever see a bass as a Collector's Item is if it played some great role in music history and not just another one off of the assembly line.

I'm going back and I'm going to be more persistant.

8. The only shop around here with real "collector" guitars has them all locked up in glass cases. Everything else on the walls they'll gladly let you play.

That dude wasnt on crack, he was just a lazy POS salesperson giving you bad service.

When you DO have $1200, bring it in and lay it on the counter - play the Ric for 1/2 hour, then look at him in the eyes, take your money and tell him he'll never see a dime of it. Then keep saving for an american Spector :)

9. The Pontiac Aztec of bass guitars!!?? Now, you could have just said "They're ugly, IMHO" and I wouldn't be offended, but calling them the PONTIAC AZTEC OF BASS GUITARS!!!???

Jerk!

--jeff

10. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    If you think they are so ugly, then why would you even want to consider buying it?

I understand that a bass is meant to be played more than it is to be looked at, but if you don't like the looks of it, every time you open the case, you'll be reminded of how much you don't like it's looks. You will also be dissappointed because you bought something you don't like the looks of.

My advise to you is to forget about buying it and buy something you do like the looks of and has the sound you want.

I happen to think Rics are great looking and Azteks are not. No offense fekn_eejit.

11. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Whoa! Calm down, folks! :D

Yes, I think Rickenbackers are ugly. Yes it is just my opinion. When my daughter was born I said she was ugly, too. Did I stuff her back up the womb until she came out looking better? Well, no.

I'm just an all around insensitive kinda guy. If you are sensitive, get yourself a box of Kleenex before reading my posts.

I see alot of Aztecs on the road. There must be something about them which makes up for their looks.

I read that a lot of people like Rickenbackers. Cool. I want to try one. I really don't care if it is ugly. Something so ugly isn't going to be considered a showpiece bass or a collector's item unless it sounds great to begin with.

Thank you all forplaying along. Good night. :)

12. My guess? Human stupidity! ;)

--jeff

13. I think we had some sort of misunderstanding - I LOVE Rickenbackers! My 4003JG is in my lap as I write this, and I'm jamming on "A Passage To Bangkok" whenever I'm not typing.

I was saying it was insulting to Rickenbackers to be compared to such a hideous beast as the A$$tek.

--jeff

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wait a minute...are you telling us to go, um - fornicate ourselves?

;)