1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jackajesusfreak, Apr 16, 2010.

1. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    1. Is the 3000 the only short scale Rickenbacker ever made?
    2. What years were they made?
    3. Anyone know why they stopped making them?
    4. Any chance of picking one up today?

Jack

2. Your best bet would be the forums on the Rickenbacker official site or the RickResource pages.

From what I understand, the 3000 was a shot at the budget market (you'll see people on this forum wondering why Rickenbacker does not have a budget line). I think they made these from about 1974 to 1984. My guess is that they stopped making them because they weren't profitable or because the budget line detracted from the brand (just my guess).

I don't know how easy it is to find a 3000, but there is a 3001 on eBay right now for about $975.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    The 3000 and 3001 were produced in the 70s.

cf75-9.

4. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Thanks guys. I just got approved as a member at the Rick Forums.

5. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009

RATS!!! The 3001 isn't short scale! :( I would have snatched it up if it had been the 3000. Oh well, I'll just keep looking.

Jack

6. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    the 3001 is awesome though! I love mine....
    Keep your eyes open for a 3000 on eBay. They pop up on a semi-regular basis. One was just on there a couple of weeks ago.

good luck!

7. I'm a long time Rick fan and owner but was never interested in the 3000 or the 3001 - what's the attraction?

8. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    It was short scale. After playing 26" guitars for 40 years, I picked up a 34" bass and felt like I was reaching across the room to reach the first fret. So I bought and played short scale for a year. When I picked up a Fender jazz at GC today, I was amazed how comfortable it was for me. I guess after playing 30" for a year, the 34" is not a big deal anymore. So I am now interested in the 4000 series. You got one you want to sell me for a grand? That's my other problem.....not enough money unless i can find one on ebay.
    jack

9. This may shed some light on the differences between the 3000 and 3001.

10. Check out ebay - at any given time they'll have about 40 Rickenbackers available. A grand is probably a bit shy to get a good one, but if you can get 1500, you can score a nice one (I hit paydirt on a very cool red one for 1300 a few months ago).