Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker Replacement Pickups!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Folmeister, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    All apologies to those who have seen this type of posting time and time again! I have a mid-80s Rick 4003(?), you know, the midnight blue with the black hardware? I have recently pulled it from its hibernation and want to start playing it again. But, I, the last time I used it steadily, had those clunky Seymour Duncan early replacement p'ups installed. I believe they sound utterly horrid. Can anyone help me with suggestions for new technology replacements? I see only Barts and Duncans on web searches. What am I missing?
    Thanks!

2. Besides Bart and Duncan, the only other company I know of making Rick replacement pickups is Alembic, and they're pretty expensive. OTOH, it's probably possible to get hi-gain replacements from Rickenbacker if you're interested in getting back to the original sound.

Mike

3. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    I'd say the Barts are your best bet. Bill even does a little pup to fit in the string damper slot. - However, do consider re-installing the original Rick pups if you still have them. Name brand instruments are always worth a lot more in their original condition.

4. bpresource

bpresource

Jul 11, 2003
    OHIO
    i have the duncan set for my ric 4003 and they're great. still sounds like a ric, just more of it.

5. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Why did you replace the stock pups to begin with? It will be a cold day in hell before I replace the pickups in '74 4001!

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    A hearty "thank you" to those that replied to my posting. I have located the original pickups and am arranging to have them reinstalled. Once again, thanks!:)

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I think there are some EMG's that would fit in a Rick, what you may want to do is contact Rickenbacker and check out the new pups they have for the newer model basses I heard they are a lot hotter.

8. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    EMG does not make RIC replacements. The only companies (aside from cutom makers) listing replacements for RIC pickups are Seymour Duncan and Bartolini.

I would be in favor of federal legislation banning EMG from even attempting this! :D

In any case hotter is not the same as better. Getting the tone you want is always more important than output.

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had a set of Duncans in my ole 4003. It was the ballsiest passive bass I'd ever heard.
    -Bazz-