Rickenbacker Replacement Pickups!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Folmeister, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    All apologies to those who have seen this type of posting time and time again! I have a mid-80s Rick 4003(?), you know, the midnight blue with the black hardware? I have recently pulled it from its hibernation and want to start playing it again. But, I, the last time I used it steadily, had those clunky Seymour Duncan early replacement p'ups installed. I believe they sound utterly horrid. Can anyone help me with suggestions for new technology replacements? I see only Barts and Duncans on web searches. What am I missing?
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Besides Bart and Duncan, the only other company I know of making Rick replacement pickups is Alembic, and they're pretty expensive. OTOH, it's probably possible to get hi-gain replacements from Rickenbacker if you're interested in getting back to the original sound.

3. cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I'd say the Barts are your best bet. Bill even does a little pup to fit in the string damper slot. - However, do consider re-installing the original Rick pups if you still have them. Name brand instruments are always worth a lot more in their original condition.
  4. bpresource

Jul 11, 2003
    i have the duncan set for my ric 4003 and they're great. still sounds like a ric, just more of it.
  5. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Why did you replace the stock pups to begin with? It will be a cold day in hell before I replace the pickups in '74 4001!
  6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    A hearty "thank you" to those that replied to my posting. I have located the original pickups and am arranging to have them reinstalled. Once again, thanks!:)
  7. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I think there are some EMG's that would fit in a Rick, what you may want to do is contact Rickenbacker and check out the new pups they have for the newer model basses I heard they are a lot hotter.
  8. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    EMG does not make RIC replacements. The only companies (aside from cutom makers) listing replacements for RIC pickups are Seymour Duncan and Bartolini.

I would be in favor of federal legislation banning EMG from even attempting this! :D

In any case hotter is not the same as better. Getting the tone you want is always more important than output.
  9. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had a set of Duncans in my ole 4003. It was the ballsiest passive bass I'd ever heard.