1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rickenbacker scale length transition

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hambone1, Sep 16, 2008.

1. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    I am deciding on wheteher or not a ric bass 4003 is right for me. I played one once before and liked it. However, That was just one time for like 15 min.

I play 34" scale basses. How is the transition to ric with its scale lenght? Akward at first? always?

When I first played it I kept placing my finger on top the frets instead of between : )

Thanks.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Rics are 33.25" scale, that's 3/4" shorter, or a whopping 3/8" difference above the 12th fret. I really don't think that will require any transition. If you found yourself missing the fret positions, maybe it was due to a different neck profile than you're used to, or a different neck position relative to the upper horn than you're used to. I seriously doubt it was anything to do with the scale length.

3. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    I hop back and forth between my 4003 and my Jazz and don't even notice a difference. It's not like you're going from a 30.5" Gibson SG to a 36" Carl Thompson.

4. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    Thanks for the replies.

One more quesetion. Do you guys use the Ric for all music types or just some?

Thanks.

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    At a typical show I play a Hofner, Ric, Jazz, electric sitar, and then for the last set finish off with a Gibson EB-2; never a scale-length problem. I find it hard, no, I mean impossible to believe that that fraction of an inch makes ANY difference. IMO.

6. Rickenbackers can be used for ALL types of music!!!!! Especially the 4003.

LeftyRickBass

7. tinder

tinder

Apr 29, 2008
    Dundee, Scotland
    I play a P Bass, a Gretsch Thunderjet 30" scale and a Ric 4003 and have no problems moving between 30" and 34" nevermind 34" and 33.25" scale:). You should be ok;)

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    No noticeable difference as far as scale length is concerned. I played 4003 for 15 years without a back up in several different bands and a couple of different genres. The slab body gets a little uncomfortable on my right arm at times, but that's my one and only complaint.

9. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    I'd have to agree on the ability to play most, if not all, musical styles with a 4003.