1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker Set Up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wattobass, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Wattobass

Wattobass

Mar 24, 2013
    Can anyone recommend a good pro to set up my Ricky 4003 in the midlands area? I am struggling with the bridge height and don't want to mess with the twin truss rods myself....

2. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Where are the midlands?

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Somewhere in the middle it seems........ :bag:

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    It is a lot easier to do than you may have read, or seen on YT, really.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Do you mean like Birmingham, etc.?

6. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Middle Earth, somewhere between the Shire and Rivendell.

7. FourtyOneHz

FourtyOneHz

Dec 16, 2012
    Great - there's a guy beside The Prancing Pony in Bree that's an expert with Rics.

8. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    He goes by the name 'Strider', kinda mysterious, shifty lookin' but don't let that intimidate ya.

Seriously, this is pretty much all you'll need to know.
    http://joeysbassnotes.com/Rick_maint.htm
    It's really not that hard to do yourself.

9. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Just adjust the trusses a little bit at a time, like no more than a quarter turn each day. That gives the wood a little time to settle between adjustments so,
    1. you can tell how it needs to be adjusted (because it moved since yesterday)
    2. prevents the wood from developing a permanent warp.

10. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

Dec 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    If you're having trouble with the bridge height, you shouldn't have to touch the truss rods.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
  12. keith christian

keith christian

Jun 27, 2012
    If the neck has a forward bow the action will be high. I've always adjusted the truss rods by first loosening the strings and the truss rod nuts,then give the neck a gentle push back while I re-tighten the nuts. Go slowly and check your progress by aiming down the neck each time. When the neck is either straight or has a little back bow tune it up and check it again. Be careful not to over tighten the truss rods as they are pushing up on the middle. By the way, you can pull the truss rods out and examine them when they are loose. If the neck has been straightened the action will be lower.

13. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    AKA Rickenwaffen HQ. That is one of the most arrogantly written websites I ever encountered. "I've had to take down my wiring diagrams because people stole them" ad nauseum. Rickenbackers seem to attract the socially inept.

Anyway.

This link might help...

This one might also help.

Anybody who argues that a dual truss rod design that requires you to remove the strings and manually bend the neck over your knee is a design advantage must be smoking the good stuff.

14. You're definitely not up on the times. There is no reason to do that procedure with 4003 trussrods, only the older 4001 designs.

Adjusting a 4003's neck is actually easier to get a precision adjustment because you can fine tailor each side, unlike Fender-style ones.

I use two capos so I have both hands free, and make sure there is zero relief for optimal playability. Most basses require a credit card thickness of relief. Rics do not.;)

And that Joey guy knows a lot about Rics.

15. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Don't recall ever reading that a "dual truss rod design that requires you to remove the strings . . . ". Certainly don't need to remove the strings to adjust the rods on any Rick bass (unless the rods have been abused and bent so they can't be reached with a tool).

16. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Joey's page specifically states:
    "Truss rod adjustments of all Rickenbacker basses should be done with the strings in tune"
    in the 'truss rod adjustment' section right after the first two large paragraphs for anyone who missed it.

At the start of the page he also states clearly:
    "Important: before you attempt to do any of the following procedures, please carefully and thoroughly read the entire page, the read each section as you do that procedure of your setup."

17. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I'm still curious as to who's responsible for handing out the weapons.

18. DasBassDude

DasBassDude

Apr 15, 2011
    USA
    :rollno:

Attached Files:

19. Kingbreaker

Kingbreaker

Feb 12, 2013
    ^
    Self-fulfilling prophecy.

20. The two above comments are hilarious