Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RICKENBACKER SETUP

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pbassfreak, Nov 6, 2002.

1. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    I just came across a 80's rick bass..when i got it it had nylon type strings on it..im interested in trying it live..if i put some ernie balls slinkys on it will it be ok..or should i have it set up for those strings..thanx for any help

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You may have to adjust the neck relief and string action, but that's it.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The key word here being Setup.;)

4. Have fun with the famously retarded Rickenbacker bridge/tailpiece! It'll be worth it though - Ricks are PHENOMENAL live basses - they blodgen their way through the crunchest, meatiest Marshall stacks!

--jeff

5. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    yeah i figured it would need to be "set up"..
    i guess im being cheap is all..after all i acquired the bass by saying wow thats a cool looking bass and my friends dad saying here take it case and all..so ill dump a little cash into it..thanx

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hold on, are you saying that someone "gave" you a Ric and you are being to cheap to put a little money in it to get it set up? ;)

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, who in the world dreamt up a saddle that just sets right in the bridge and is held in by the strings' tension.

8. You may not have to adjust the neck relief, check it first. If its ok, leave it. Put the strings on, check the relief the next day.. still ok? Leave it.

You'll have to check the intonation and action. All stuff you can do yourself.

:D:D

Merls

9. A complete jackass. Sure it's bloody gorgeous, but it stinks to adjust.

--jeff