1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Rickenbacker "Shadow" 4003 (1986)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by PaulBoyer, Oct 14, 2013.

1. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    While preparing my book over the last eight years or so, I accumulated quite a few Rickenbacker basses. I'm no longer an active player, and I'd like to see the collection distributed to folks who want/need/appreciate a good Rick!

Yes, the legendary "Shadow" -- a special bass (50 or 60 made depending on the "source") made for Guitar Center in 1986. Unique among 4003 basses, the Shadow had checker binding with black outer binding, and large black dot position markers on the fingerboard. I bought this Shadow back in September 2008. Like many of the others in the collection, this bass is in near-mint condition. When I measured the neck girth of all the basses in my collection, this one came out as the thinnest - even thinner than my two '72 4001s! The neck is incredibly thin and the action is real easy. As with other basses of the late '80s, the body horns are chunky.

The Shadow is in near-mint condition, except for some scratches on the seven-screw blackened tailpiece. The strings on it are D'Adarrio "Slow Wounds" (rounds) with their multicolored silks that I had purchased back when they were the current rage. Certainly one of the finest basses Rickenbacker has made. Priced accordingly.

Price is firm at $3100 with case (plus shipping). No trades, no lower offers.

Attached Files:

2. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, it is pricey, but the Shadow is one of THE best Rick basses ever made. Super slim neck and great grinding tone.

3. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    Is the fretboard finished natural or varnished?

4. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Varnished on all 4003 models.

5. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    True statement. Awesome bass!

6. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    This one is still on my Christmas list. :)

7. basser05

basser05 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    WOW

8. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, it's after Christmas, but you can still present yourself with this gorgeous bass!

9. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    SOLD!

Thanks, Keren!

10. Hi. I know this is an old post but here goes. I've got a shadow and yes it is exceptional. I have a question, I hope someone can answer. Does it have humbuckers in it? I took off the pickguard, out of curiosity, and the pickups have a white and read lead soldered and taped together just like a humbucker. The other 2 wire are 1, to ground and 1 to the pot. tab.

11. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Not that I am aware of. However, I do not know electronics. As far as I know, the Shadow was equipped with two standard Rickenbacker High-gain pickups.