Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker shielding worked, but now NO TONE CONTROLS?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    a friend of mine offered to copper tape shield my 1978 4001 rickenbacker. he basically put copper tape on the back of all pickguards, put liquid shielding "stuff" in the cavities and attached a wire from the bridge ground wire to the copper tape on the back of the main pickguard, but.....

Now my tone controls aren't responding and the tone sound muddy like the tone is part or all the way down/off.

any ideas???

2. sort of sounds like theres a wire somewhere in there touching the shielding.. I'm no expert,and more info would be needed to troubleshoot that, but thats my .02 :meh:

3. +1 that's my guess, too

the lugs of the pots have little metal "eyelets" on them that could be touching the shielding...

for a test...remove your pots from their mounting and with them hanging in free air, see if things improve...

remove your pots from their mounting...tape up the lugs (electrical tape) on the face that could contact the paint and then put the pots back in...

another method would be to coat those eyelets with clear nail polish...