1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker Sighting in the Wild

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Robert B, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    In 1964, no less!

I was around back then, but don't remember seeing a Rickenbacker bass until McCartney started using one. Or maybe it was Roger Glover in Deep Purple? I don't remember but I know it wasn't this early!

One Way, mikeyjm2, hintz and 16 others like this.
  2. That's a great video, I was surprised the first time I saw this too. There's also another version of the same video with the original studio track on it.

MCF and Robert B like this.
  3. Robert B

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Watching the video, I'm also struck by the relatively unsophisticated skills required of the backup musicians supporting a major national act!

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  4. Rock and roll started out with pretty simple musical lines. The part of the video I find strange is standing on platforms/stages that have knobs on the front to match some of the backdrop fake amp setups.

5. Robert B

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    I agree - it's almost like a precursor to Rush and their weird stage getups!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  6. they are so far from the microphones

TheDominoKid likes this.
  7. Its a 4001 first released in 1960

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Will Ferrel on keys!!!!!

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    all about the visual...
    Neil Young did it too

Neil+Young+626.

hintz, Gilmourisgod, Axstar and 6 others like this.
  10. FWIW, I believe that is Bill Dees, who not only plays keys and sings the harmonies on the studio version, but also is a co-writer of the song. Pretty talented dude, RIP.

This video oozes so much cool I had to LOL a couple of times. The Ric is the icing on the cake.

11. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

It doesn't look like any of them are plugged into anything anyway. I expect it's all lip synch for the camera.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  12. show biz even then...even though these guys were likely really talented....fast forward 20 years and we have MTV... I always favored the show " Don Kershwin's (sp.?) Midnight Special" as they seemed to all play live

13. I can see cables. And this is definitely not the studio version. I suspect it's all live, and extremely well-performed at that.

Pretty typical of The Ed Sullivan Show. I don't think they had many, if any, lip synced performances, at Sullivan's insistence. Virtually no miming as well, maybe a backing track or two in its entire history. But this one is not played to a track.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  14. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I stand corrected. I didn't look closely.

MCF likes this.
  15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006

Rickenbacker (4000) in this one, too!

Robert B and Gaolee like this.
  16. The thinner cables appear to be real but the thicker cables are connected to the platforms. A little bit of reality mixed with fakery? I don't know.

17. I do remember these and the King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcast on radio. We were also lucky enough to have cable in the late 70's and early 80's when USA network would show Night Flight.

18. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    It was Don Kirschner’s ‘Rock Concert’. In my locale, it was aired at midnight.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  19. Robert B

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    I always looked forward to watching that show.

Caca de Kick likes this.
  20. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    This is a great historical video on many levels. As far as the Ric sound goes, when listened to on good speakers, it's got a lot of depth. Based on a quick look at the Ric Bass book by @PaulBoyer, I suspect this is an early 4001 - probably with toaster and and horseshoe pickups.

Spidey2112 likes this.