1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker Sighting in the Wild

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Robert B, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Speaking of Midnight Special...

pbass2 and nbsipics like this.
  2. I have heard that it was common for bands on TV to pre-record their performances in the TV studio prior to going on camera, so they may be lip-syncing to a performance they recorded earlier that day in this clip.

There is a video of Nirvana playing on a TV show where they were pissed about having to mime instead of being truly live, so they were obviously faking it as a mockery. It's pretty funny.

3. You are correct but I thought he was referring to this and Burt Sugerman's The Midnight Special. It was broadcast on NBC Saturday at midnight. This was before Saturday Night Live.
    Edit: Burt Sugarman's.

4. Love Roy Orbison. Bass player: kind of interesting right hand technique!

5. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    cure did that too playing primary on count down

in the roy orbison video, they are quite far from the mics. would their voices get picked up like that? especially will ferrell. he's far.

Spectrum and Zooberwerx like this.
  6. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Don Kirschner had another one, ‘In Concert’. That’s the one that I remember our local TV station putting on at midnight.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Robert B likes this.
  7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

:meh: Had to suck the air out of the room didn’t ya professor? :roflmao::thumbsup:

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Hi, I’m Dahn Kirshnah and dis is rock conceht.

Saw lots of good bands on there.

9. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    ^^^
    Paul Shaffer used to do a pretty good Don Kirschner.

I miss the old late night music shows, and of course the bands too! The Midnight Special, and yes Rock Concert. At least we have Youtube where many of my favorites can still be seen. Listening again, some seem to be a mix of pre-recorded music and live vocals, and then again there are some pretty incredible all live performances--but that's over a whole range of them, including Rockpalast, Old Gray Whistle Test, Jools Holland, etc. Remember the short lived Night Music (or Sunday Night Music) hosted by David Sanborn? They had everyone from Sonic Youth to Miles Davis.

Oh yeah, p.s. this is my favorite Ric in the wild, from 1965:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    In 1964, sound traveled further. In 2019, not so much thanks to greenhouse gases, global warming, and the proliferation of thong underwear.

Riis

11. Yes, I firmly believe there is now a thong "Gap".:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Back then people really knew how to sing (and project). Not so much, anymore.
    You can't play country music on a Rick! ;)

13. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Speaking of Shaffer, he and Letterman aired a ton of great live stuff over the years. They consciously carried the Ed Sullivan torch. Some great moments over the years.

Thanks OP for the great post.

Robert B, Spectrum and consectaneus like this.
  14. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Wow! That looks like a 1959 4000!

15. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Absolutely! I still revisit an almost unknown at the time REM doing Radio Free Europe, and the "new one"--so new they said it didn't have a name--So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry).

And hey, between Buck and Mills---rics all over the place so there ya go!

MCF likes this.
  16. Yup. More Rics in the wild, this time two of them, courtesy of David Letterman. Great Ric tone, especially in the song starting at 5:50:

17. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Uhh, no. As far as I can tell, the first twin pickup Rick bass was produced in late 1961 and it was basically a 4000 specially made with deluxe trim and had a Toaster Top pickup added to it. It had only a pair of control knobs and no pickup selector switch. It is featured in the book. The earliest production "4001" was likely made in 1962, featuring the new tailpiece/bridge/mute assembly (pretty much unchanged through now), new pick guard, and four control knobs and pickup selector switch.

Robert B likes this.
  18. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Here's a better look at it from the same show with Bare doing his biggest hit:

Tony In Philly and MCF like this.
  19. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Ironic that there’s a Dobro there too. The Dopyera Brothers we’re partnered with Adolph Rickenbacker in the beginning years.

Robert B and consectaneus like this.
  20. JaseyT

JaseyT

Jun 18, 2009
    Nothing says "hep cat bassist" like holding your headstock up to eye level and staring at your fretboard for most of the song.

Tony In Philly likes this.