1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker Sighting in the Wild

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Robert B, Jan 10, 2019.

1. LordRyan

LordRyan

Dec 9, 2012
    NJ
    Ricky Nelson was a Rickenbacker endorser beginning around 1959. His band members were also required to use Ricks. James Kirkland played upright Bass at first and later switched to the Rick. I'm pretty sure the late Joe Osborn briefly played a Rick when he replaced Kirkland.

tumblr_m8nqpimTfQ1rzlzc4o1_500.
    061d601d51fca272ca5cc138936c6fa3.

Country star Jim Reeves was also a Rickenbacker endorser as seen here in 1961. His band was called The Blue Boys.

reevesconnection.

armybass, nbsipics, Robert B and 3 others like this.
  2. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    Looks like he could use a tug bar.

3. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Actually, Kirkland is the bassist in that shot of the Blue Boys, and the Rick is the same one he had while with Nelson. It was refinished in the "Blue Boy" powder blue. Shortly after, Kirkland got fed up with the music biz and left the bass at Reeves place. When Reeves died, the bass's whereabouts was unknown (well, unreported) until it turned up at a guitar shop in 2014 and it was purchased by a Rick bass collector. It's all in the book.

Robert B and LordRyan like this.
  4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    James Kirkland-Ricky Nelson-James Burton.

nbsipics, Robert B and Tony In Philly like this.
  5. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    That was "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on the BBC's "Top of the Pops".

Top of the Pops had received criticism over the years that the singers were miming, and numerous bands had "mocked" this policy by messing around on stage. The BBC then decided that all performers should sing live on the programme, to get some "authenticity".

Ironically, when Nirvana appeared on the show, Kurt Cobain didn't want to sing live, because he was actually unwell at the time (IIRC, he had a really bad cold), and stated that he would be happy to mime because he couldn't give the performance.

What happened was akin to a car crash, however, at the time it was quite funny to watch, as Nirvana were seen to be sticking two fingers up at the establishment, and especially the high-volume sales, manufactured pop music of the time.

Spectrum and Axstar like this.
  6. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2013
    detroit michigan
    Earl Elliot with Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels played one in the mid 60's

Robert B likes this.
  7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Don Kirshner ;)

EE8FA49D-27EE-44DE-890B-DEF4F63C5F38.

nbsipics and Robert B like this.
  8. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    That is a cool video. It looks like really early 4001 basses had the same black Jazz Bass-style knobs as 4001s basses.

The video made me realise that Rickenbacker have never done a 'heritage' 4001 reissue. They've brought back various flavours of 4001S, including a fairly dead-on replica for the Japanese market. However they've never done a proper '60s-style 4001 with the checkerboard binding, toaster in 1/2'' position, crushed pearl inlays, horseshoe pickup with a 4.7 nF cap in series with it (and no option to switch it out) correct shape and length of headstock etc.

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’m guessing Kurt Cobain didn’t object to amassing an estimated $100 million net worth from that same Establishment despite that. ;)

Robert B likes this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The first Rickenbacker I remember seeing, and remembering, was Paul’s psychedelic painted one on the album cover for the Magical Mystery Tour. He used it in the movie too. When I got my first Yes album, Fragile, and heard the bass tone, I was like THAT is the sound I want to make, sort of half way between guitar and bass. When I saw them live first time (1977 or so) and saw the Rick, that was it for me. Took me a year of odd jobs and lawn mowing to scrape up the $450 for my Jetglo with HSC.

Robert B, Tony In Philly and Axstar like this.
  11. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    On the contrary, he voiced his objection quite vociferously!

12. The Mogpipe

The Mogpipe

Nov 9, 2017
    Don Kirshner

13. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Well when it's lip synced for TV it's just for looks anyways. Any TV appearance this old was lip synced. That's the way they did it. I once saw Petula Clark doing an outside performance of her song 'Downtown'. It was so obvious it was being faked. Nobody seemed to care as that's the way is was.

14. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Funny you mentioned that; I have a 4004L commemorative Blue Boy!

Rick4004L.

Rick4004LBB.

15. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    What's interesting is that Chris Squire made the Rick famous for its treble timbres. What people often forget is that a Rick has some of the deepest tones that one can possibly get out of a four string. It's really fascinating to get a glimpse of how it was a country swing music instrument in its own right years before it became synonymous with using Rotosound 66's and 70's Prog Rock.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  16. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    I remember the story about that bass and who eventually snagged it. I also remember the apoplexy that erupted amongst the Rickenwaffen over it.

17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    RIC May have made some for the Japanese market some years back, but I may be mistaken.

18. It's actually a Schecter knockoff.

2cooltoolz and Robert B like this.
  19. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    It was more about the establishment of "Top of the Pops", and pop music in general.

40Hz likes this.
  20. I am surprised no Geddy Lee posts as of yet. Seems like when i was trying to learning "In the Mood" i watched some old footage of him playing a Ric....