Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Robert B, Jan 10, 2019.
What would you have them play?
This isn't a lipsync.
I believe that was "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert". "Midnight Special" was a another similar TV concert show back in the day.
Roy Orbison was a huge talent. That guy could sing.
Either way, all that hype and stage choreography feeds the machine that creates the buzz that built the fortune that Curt made.
It seems more than a little hypocritical and disingenuous to flip the bird at the so called music establishment, but still accept its largesse.
If the music is “just so beautiful” that you don’t care about the money or fame, then why sign with a label to begin with? Why not just hold your head (or nose) up and go play in the park or some local coffee shop? That (to me) is more honest than making some token motion of biting the hand that feeds.
But maybe that’s just me.
Anyway vaya con Dios, Curt. Would that you have finally found some peace.
Yep. Midnight Special was promoter Burt Sugarman’s production. It was a syndicated show distributed through Viacom to various stations.
ABC had a concert show called (Wide World) In Concert. Originally part of their “Wide World” umbrella brand that began with Wide World of Sports.
Cable had a series of concerts that aired under the banner Night Flight
I love the minty ones!
Exactly what they were playing, because it fit the song. I wasn't criticizing them. But I could easily do the same as they were doing, likely within 3 years of taking up the bass back in the '60s. But I can't say the same of many of today's bassists backing name acts - guys like Keith Horne - I'm not even close to being in the same league! In my opinion, the job has become much more difficult than it once was!
Most of the guys backing big-time touring country acts in those days, including the bass players, were also bluegrass mandolin, banjo, or fiddle shredders who could mop the floor with all but the very best players today in any genre. In videos like the Roy Orbison one, all they have to do is play perfectly---and they do.
As John Sebastian said, "they can pick more notes than the number of ants on a Tennessee anthill."
Is that Gino Vannelli on drums?
And let's not forget WTTW Soundstage in Chicago had a lot of great acts, like Return to Forever, Blondie, many others over the years. Saw a taping of Chicago a couple of years ago, not sure if it ever aired.
Oh yeh - go Ric!
I'd like to see RIC produce such a product!
For example in the promo shots of Ricky Nelson, that's James Burton behind the pedal steel, but I'll bet even the bassist here recognize him as a Telemaster extraordinaire. He's still a kid in that shot, yet already a veteran as a former member of the staff band of the Louisiana Hayride out of Shreveport as a teenager.
Interesting. The bassist is kind of small. BTW, loved the set with the amp motif....
I'm not sure. It happened that I did listen to San Francisco by Scott McKenzie again a few weeks ago and what Joe Obsorne plays is extremely musical and emotional. I needed seconds to play along and get 90% right, but the other 10%: not so easy.
And I always loved what the bass is playing during the bridge part of Pretty Woman. Reminds me somehow of the technique Mccartney uses during Yesterday (is this called a counter-melody? I don't know the english term):
I don't listen much to music like this, but I'm impressed by a lot of it. You're right that bass is some fields has evolved and some of todays session musicians are technical on another level. But for example I don't think many have reached Jamersons musicality. Or someone who might be in a similar league as Jamerson - Bernard Edwards - reduced this style and only used it in certain situations. But not because he couldn't do it all the time, he did it because the kind of music was asking for it.
Snow Patrol were on a show on BBC1 last Saturday, bassist was using a Fireglo 4003.