Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pthump, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    Heard it described as a punchier precision. Agree/disagree/elabortate/explain?

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Nope, nothing like a Precision to my ears. It sounds, like a Ric. Hard to describe, just go to a store and try one out. They have a great clean ringing sound, lots of sustain but with a cool bite to the upper mids.

Definately try before you even think about buying, Rics seem to be one of the most love it or hate it basses out there when it comes to look and playability. Some people think they are great, others think they are the most uncomfortable things ever.

3. Chris Squire's sound on "Roundabout" is probably the most cited example of the ric sound(with a pick).
    It is definitly punchy and can have a great bite, especially with the bridge pickup solo'd.

Edit: Hmm, your profile doesn't say where you'te from but if you know of a band called Mia(they're german) they have that typical Ric sound on all of their songs and it can be heard very well.

4. I would describe it as a sound with little bass-range, but many mid and treble frequencies. It sounds like i'd imagine a saw would sound if you made a bass out of it.

But little bass-range doesn't mean that it sounds thin or anything.

5. Try listening to early RUSH, YES, KANSAS, to name a few.

6. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    you can get much closer to a Ric tone with a Jazz bass then a P bass. In fact, much of Geddy's "Ric" tone was a Jazz bass in the studio.

Like Roger Glover from Deep Purple, he'd switch from a Fender to a Ric for live applications because they cut through the mix better on stage.

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Wow - I don't have any trouble getting real deep stuff out of mine. Maybe it's the toaster PU...

8. The singer looks so much better in real life. Oh well.

There's an instrumental track of theirs called "Rauschen" that's particularly good because as far as I can tell the bass signal has no effects at all and it has that great trebly, dirty sound of a picked Ric.

9. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
  10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ric's come off to me has having a little bit of overdrive, all the time. Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, and Paul D'amour (who plays the Chris Squire bass) for example.

11. Listen to some songs off of TOOL's "Undertow". I beleive the Ric is quite overdriven, but You can still hear the Ric sound on some songs.

12. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The one I owned for years had the SD replacements (humbuckers) and fingerstyle....sounded very much like a punchier P. I've played un-modded ones fingerstyle and they remind my more of a J type sound.

People say they are made to be picked but I think they sound great w/fingerstyle as well.

-Bazz-

13. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Just off topic a bit.
    Im about to join a jam/paul weller tribute band so i need to get a Ric for the jam stuff. as i already own a HW1 Jazz i can sort of get the sound of a ric but i need to get a very cheap but playable Ric copy for the jam stuff, more for the look than the sound (the weller songs are mostly Jazz i believe).
    I would like some recomendations if any one has any ideas on makes. im not going to use it much but i dont have much spare cash so even a second had Ric is out.
    Thanks

Dave.

14. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
  15. hasadari

hasadari

Jun 23, 2005
    I am a Ric fan and have owned a 1978 4001 Stereo since 1982. The Ric sound is very different, almost like playing in an enhanced tin can. Listen to "Roundabout", "Heart of the Sunrise", and "Long Distance Runaround" from Yes' Fragile album.

16. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
  17. Don't forget Lemmy! Go listen to some Motorhead! :bassist:

18. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    There's actually a "cap" on the older 4001s (maybe older 4003s as well?) where they cut out a lot of the lower freqs. Thats why you hear a lot of people complaining of not having that bassy sound because they're playing a bass which is cutting them out. Click the link if your interested in bypassing the cap to get more out of your bass. http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit/showthread.php?t=1386

19. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

We know how to do it and we do it real well. Born to raise hell. :)