1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rickenbacker sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Nov 6, 2006.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    why do only rickenbackers sound like rickenbacker? is it because of the pick up or somethin? How do i get close to the tone without actually owning a rickebacker?

2. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Single coils in an all maple body that is neck-thru. Pretty unique combo. That being said, I can get pretty close with an old Peavey T-40 with totally different constuction. :D

3. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    High output SC pickups and the hard maple give it the gritty tone. The pole shape is unique and may have a magnetic field shape as well.

4. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    If I try hard enough, I can get a respectable Chris Squire-esque tone out of my NS-JH5 with a Villex pickup. But I have to do crazy things to my EQ, so I doubt I'll ever use that sound live.

5. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    is there any bass with similar build to rickenbackers?

6. In a word, no.

Nothing comes close to a Rick, exact maybe the imitation basses that only LOOK like them (these were released in the 70s but sued into oblivion).

Like mentioned above, Ricks are all maple (neck-thru) with really high-output singlecoil pickups in interesting places.

I guess you can have a bass like that built and gets a pair of really hot pickups and place them in a similar Rick fashion... also, the neck is 33'' scale, or something to that effect.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The "lawsuit" Ric copies from the '70s probably do.

On a budget, a Charvel Model 3B is a P shaped neck-through instrument that you could install Ric pickups on.

However, if you can find a way to afford the cost of getting a real Ric from the start, you'd probably be better off as it will certainly retain its value.

8. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    o one more question, are all ricks active?

9. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Oddly enough, Lots of USA Spectors are neck-thru, maple bodied but the pups are so different that they don't sound much alike to me.

10. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I don't believe ANY rics basses are active.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    AFAIK they're all passive.

The tone comes from a unique construction and awesome pickups. Even putting Ric pickups in another beast won't give you the same sound.

Which explains why I'm GASsin really bad for a Ric right now.

12. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    then why do the ric pics i see have like 4knobs at least?

13. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Volume and tone for each pup.

14. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    thanks for clearing things up. didnt know basses have 2 tone knobs

15. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The Stereo option even lets you send each pup's output to a different amp.

16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The first Fender Jazz basses (like the current '62 RI) had concentric (stacked) volume and tone controls for each pickup...so Ric isn't the only one.

17. One of my Bass heroes, Billy Gould, played a Gibson Ripper on the album "We Care a Lot" by Faith No More - he also played it on the Album "Introduce Yourself".

Check out "We Care a Lot" sometime..particularly the songs "Why Do You Bother" and "New Beginnings"..

..I own a Ric, and it's pretty damn hard to tell the difference.

Gibson Ripper - an all maple body and a passive pickup, with a maple board makes for an aggressive sound.

18. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    I think you should just save for a Ric. Buy second hand, that way you will almost always get back about what you paid, if not more, and you will save a lot of money from buying new.

19. off-topic

off-topic

Nov 5, 2003
    Tel Aviv
    The lacquered Padauk fretboard has a lot to do with the Ric tone. And the zinc tailpiece.

20. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm not so sure about that. Sometimes used Rics sell for more than their new price. Rickenbacker's production is slow. Most dealers have backorders and have trouble keeping Rics in stock, which keeps the value high on used Rics...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021