Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker Stereo output question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evilash, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Evilash

Evilash

Mar 12, 2004
    Ok so the other day i was at band practice and i noticed a very huge change in tone from the moment i started playing. After checking my amp to see if anyone changed my settings I found that i had plugged into the Rick-o-sound output. But I didn't plug all the way into it. I think I had the plug about a 1/4 inch out.

I was just wondering can this cause any damage to the Rick or my amp? Its a very interesting sound that I think i could use for a song here or there. But I don't want to run the risk of messing up my equipment. Thanks.

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    You're unlikely to damage your gear. If you were plugged into the Rickenbacker stereo jack using a regular mono cable, it means you were connecting with only one pickup (the bridge pickup, if memory serves). That must be what accounts for your difference in sound.

If you want to experiment with the stereo signal routing options, buy the Rickenbacker Rick-O-Sound kit, and configure your rig accordingly...

MM

3. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Actually you can get either pickup. If you plug it all the way in you will get one of them and if you plug it in partway like you did, you get the other one. It won't hurt anything.

4. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    The sound of the bridge pickup is exactly the same wheter the plug is in the Ric-O-Sound jack or in mono jack w/the bridge PU selected.

You can also try the Ric-O-Sound jack with a Y-cord (stereo plug and two mono plugs), of course you'll need two amps. It's worth trying.