1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker stereo outputs...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by olaff421, Mar 12, 2007.

1. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    I'm just curious what/how they work. Do they split the pickups into two amps? Is it an internal x-over? Just been wondering about it.

2. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    the way I understand it - each pick up goes to a seperate signal which can be put into seperate amps. I have heard that some people use a guiatr amp for one of the signals to get a different sound.....

I have yet to try the stereo option on mine.....

3. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Yeah, it splits the neck pickup into one channel & the bridge into another. RIC recently discontined the official "Ric-O-Sound" splitter box/cable - presumably because noone was using it really.

It's actually a very cool effect & makes Rickenbackers sound incredibly full...you just have to haul another amp & cabinet around!

4. The "Ric-O-Sound" was just a simple stereo cable running into a box that split stereo input into 2 mono outputs (just jacks and wires). I guess its advantage is that you don't have to have two cables hanging off your bass like you would with a simple stereo "Y" splitter (which is what I do every so often).

5. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    You are very correct.
    I meant to have put the fact that you can use a Y-splitter in there after I wrote about them discontinuing the the Ric-O-Sound. Duh! (In fact that was supposed to have been my point!)

It's been one of those Mondays..

Thanks for the save!

6. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    So they still make the stereo basses, just not the 'special' Y-cable? Splitting the pickups between two amps/effects/whatever could be VERY cool. Now I really want one.

7. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Oh yes. One of the many quirky, antiquated (yet loveable) features of the 4003!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021