1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker Stereo splitter On a Jazz???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by OPBASSMAN1994, Sep 30, 2010.

1. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Can you use the Rickysounds thing that sends each pickup to a different amp on a Jazz Bass, or will it only work on a Ric? It seems like it would work on a J. Since the input for the instrument is only one line, and the one going to the amp(s) has 2.

2. You can wire it any way you want.

3. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    I'm talking about a product that is called "RICKEYSOUNDS" which takes one input from a Ric bass and splits it into two amps, like what Chris Squire did with his Ric. I'm wondering if it would work on a J.

4. Yes.
    You would have to rewire to a stereo jack and either skip the tone control, add a second tone control, or run the tone control as a dual-ganged pot though.

5. i bought a j body with a jack in the body,and a stacked knob plate with the intention of a second stereo jack on the plate....a guy i know says that very ric-like tones can be attained with the correct wiring and dual amp set up

6. I have a hunch that the OP doesn't know the Ric-o-Sound jack is a TRS (three conductor, stereo - call it what you will) jack.

7. deekay911

deekay911

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    Right - you would have to rewire the pups on the jazz to a new TRS (stereo) 1/4" jack, then your Rickysounds thingy will work just fine.

8. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    As the others have said, the Ric is wired up so you could send each pickup signal to two amps. You could do this with another type of bass but you would have to get it rewired (ive never attempted this so I dont know how intensive it is) And, as if a $2K Ric wasnt expensive enough, you need 2 amps and cabs! lol Just kidding you dont have to use Ric O Sound but at some point I am going to try it with my new 4003.

Oh and the Ric O Sound box Rickenbacker used to sell doesnt mean you could use it with any bass and it will split the signals.

9. It's fairly simple.
    (At least to me.)

10. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Hm. Thanks guy. I get it. I wish I had a Ric....I wish I had a job to get the money to get a Ric....I wish somebody would buy the stuff I've got on ebay and then I'd be much much closer....Man! Ric G.A.S. is setting in big time!

11. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Important to note that even if you plug your two pickups on two different amps , it won't make a Jazz bass sound like a Rick.
    And it won't make you sound like Chris Squire either....:cool:

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
  13. Ross Stanley

Ross Stanley

Feb 22, 2008
    Ok. I have wired my Squier VM Jazz in stereo. It's a bit of a hack job, but what it entails is replacing the tone pot with another output jack. Unfortunately, I miss having a tone pot. What I think I'm going to do is buy a concentric pot, wire each pickup through the tone control, and then feed a TRS jack. I just need the option to run in mono. Does anyone know how it would be possible to wire the bass to have a stereo/mono switch?

14. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ

I'm curious about this as well. Anyone care to whip up a diagram for us?

How about a diagram for the following?:
    Stacked vol/tone for neck pup, stacked vol/tone for bridge pup, mono/stereo switch (if that's really possible... I know you'd still have to switch cables), stereo jack

15. It's a much better idea to opt for two mono jacks with break terminals, so that if you insert one cable into either jack, the output is mono, but if you plug into both jacks, it's stereo.
    This way, there is no need for any switches, the presence of a cable in one or both jacks does it mechanically.

16. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ

Mind making a diagram for that? That sounds ideal... so do I understand you correctly if I think you're saying that when only one cable is inserted, both pickups are in the signal chain?

Where can you get those mono jacks with break terminals? I know I've seen them before.

17. I'll draw one tonight.

Mouser sells them.
    Many years ago, RadioShack sold them, but they never stock anything these days, so I don't know if they still do.

18. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    BTW -- if you wire any bass stereo, you don't need the Rick box -- a stereo Y cord from Musiciansfriend or elsewhere will work just fine. If you don't have two amps but have an amp with two channels, you can plug each side of the split into a separate channel and tweak EQ form there. I ran my 4001 this way for years in the early '70s. Won't sound as good as two amps, but ...

My Epiphone Zenith has two jacks, but you use two cords -- one in each jack -- to run stereo. Plugging into the Mono jack sums the signal.

19. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ

You da man!

Would this be the kind to get?
    Mono Jack

20. Yes, though I would find the Switchcraft version, personally.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021