1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker Stock Strings Half or Pressure Wound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassJuju, Dec 22, 2016.

1. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    First, let me say this isn't a "where can I get a set of strings like the ones that came on my bass" post. I have found the website and plan to order more, but I do have a question that searching the forum hasn't led me a good answer.

While I waited for my new Ric to arrive, I researched which flats I wanted to have installed. I like TI and they were the likely candidate. Then, this magical thing happened. I really liked the strings that came on the bass. I mean really liked them. I suppose I could say it was the Ric tone, and it is a big part of it, but the feel of the strings is awesome too. Most rounds that I have tried felt like cheese graters and I didn't like the feel at all. I didn't like the zing when sliding and I didn't like that they sounded liked springs, IMO. Yes, the Ric tone is very bright, but it isn't the same as a set of "insert brand name" rounds that one plucks off the wall at GC. I played a set of NYXL for awhile and they weren't bad, just not my thing and I have hated every stock string that I have ever played. I digress. Clearly the stock Ric strings are not flats. Given that they don't seem like true rounds to me, and I've never played half or pressure wounds, are they really one of those styles?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The stock RIC strings are round wounds. IIRC, they were supplying "compression wound" strings for a period of time. Going by the description of the tone you like, you might want to try TI Jazz Rounds on the Rick. They are very supple with a really smooth feel to them as they have very small diameter outer wrap wire. Some folks who have played my basses with them thought they were playing flat wound strings due to the very smooth feel of the strings. Also, minimized string squeak and great tone that sound like a nice broken-in set of round wounds, and they last a very long time (they do for me, anyway). I have a set on my March '73 4001 that I put on sometime in mid 2008.

3. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky

Thanks... I will check them out. I am considering replacing the EB Slinky Flats on my P with either Ric strings or something similar. Seems like it might be a good choice.