1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker Strap Buttons and Strap Locks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Apr 21, 2006.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Anyone know of any of the strap lock systems would fit with the standard rickebacker starp buttons?

These are one piece instead of 2 (screw and button) and I'm not sure if I want to be pulling them out.

The schallers look like they may fit (I think they make ric's tuners and maybe other hardware too ), do they?

2. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Schallers are the ones to get. I just got some for mine a couple of weeks ago. They are made to use the stock Ric button, so no need to remove it.

3. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Sweet! Thanks!

4. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    I just discovered this by total chance. I needed to get strap locks for my '08 4003 and went to Sam Ash. The sales guy was not too helpful as I asked to see every one they had behind the counter -- he gave me one at a time -- ugh. I really didn't like the idea of taking out the stock button, so I was looking for the lowest profile button. Came down to Dunlops and Schaller when I realized the Schaller looked like the stock button so I bought it. Took it home and found out it is exactly the same sized/look/design! Tried the lock on it and it worked so I don't have to take the stock buttons off -- Yippee! :hyper:

5. They work but they dont lock, which kind of defies the point of strap locks!
    You can buy replacement buttons on the internet that look stock and have the hole in the middle to lock...
    I got some on ebay, looked just like stock but the threading was to long so they didnt bottom on the bass and there was a bit of a gap between the wood and the button. that annoyed me so i replaced them by standard schaller!
    Im not selling this bass, and only i know that the buttons are not stock, nobody cares!

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
  7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

The switch to Schallers was long after 81'. You should retrofit yours with locking strap buttons of some sort. I hear that the Dunlop buttons use the same size screws as the old Ric buttons. I retrofitted my 74' with Schallers and I had to glue in toothpicks before installing them. I like the Schallers better.

8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I have a new pair of Schaller/RIC posts available if interested. PM me.

TD

9. Thats exactly what i did....