Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker string change and setup question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bluebyrd, Jun 7, 2003.

1. bluebyrd

bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    Hi Everyone. I tried a search on this, and couldn't find anything. I just bought a new Rickenbacker 4003 bass, and just love it! My question is about string changes and setup. I plan on buying Ric strings for it, to have a backup set or two just in case. Does anyone know of a website that sells them besides the Ric website? Also, would the bass need to be intonated or otherwise setup when I change strings? What about if I decide to try a different brand of string, does the bass need to be intonated? What's the harm in not intonating a bass when changing strings? I'm new at this, so please forgive my ignorance. In the past I've played Fender basses, and have just bought Fender stings, so I didn't have to worry about this stuff. Thanks for any help.

2. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i dont believe that if you change string brands that the bass needs to be re-intonated,if the bass is already intonated properly then it should'nt require doing it again. as far as harming the bass ,i dont think it will cause any damage to the bass. if the sound is ok to you then dont worry,if you want to check the int. i learned an easy way to do so,when tuning the bass watch the needle on the tuner if it wobbles all over the place when tuning before coming to rest in the "in tune position" its out of whack,if when tuning it goes right to the in tune position without wobbling all over the place then your good.make sure the bass is in tune before doing this,it will make it easier to check once the bass is in tune,then you will be sure that the wobbling is from the intonation and not from being out of tune. this was shown to me by an experienced luthier and i believe this to be true,if someone else knows otherwise please let it be known. i am not perfect but IMO this should be accurate to the point of being a general rule of thumb, it should help you get as close to being intonated as possible without having to pay a pro to do it for you,i have relied on this method many times and it has'nt failed me yet
    good luck:D

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've never changed brands of strings without having to reintonate. It's a simple job - you won't be able to get the intonation as accurate as a shop that uses a strobe tuner, but you can get close enough to sound right all by yourself.

Try ricpage.com for another source of Ric strings, although I personally would find something else more available. What are your reasons for staying with Rickenbacker strings?

4. bluebyrd

bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    The main reason I'd like to stay with Ric strings is that I like the sound and feel of them. also, if I don't have to intonate the guitar every time I change a set, that would be great. I've never done that before, so I'll have to search out how to do it. I'm sure there's lots of internet sites that show how to do it, and I also have a book that teaches you how, but I'd rather not have to if I can get away with it. The bass sounds great with the original Ric strings that are on it, but they are very new, as I've only had it less than a week. I probably won't need string for awhile yet, but I'd like to have a set just in case. Thanks for the info everyone.