1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker thru a mesa boogie?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ripper75, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Ripper75

Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    anyone own this combo? i am very curious about the sound.

2. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    One word......CRUNCH!!!!!

3. FLMetalHead

FLMetalHead

Dec 20, 2005
    Florida
    The only person that I have seen use that rig was Laura Godfrey of The Demigods. She had great metal tone. I dont know if thats the tone that you want, but for shred metal it seemed to work great for her. It was amazingly thick and gritty, but still had a little bit of glimmer and bite like no other. If I remember correctly, she ran through a Pre Amp though.

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Which Rickenbacker? Which Mesa Boogie? Which speakers? What EQ settings? These things make a difference.

The Rickenbacker I used to have through the Mesa I used to have sounded very good the way I used to have the EQ set. Of course I was using the speakers I used to have, and playing the Rickenbacker the way I played it. I also played a Rickenbacker in a store through a Mesa and did not like it at all.

5. I play a Rick through a Mesa Bass 400, and I like it better than the SVT, which is also nice.... But the natural Hi Fi, yet dirty sound of my Mesa seems to be a perfect match for the Rick in my book

This is my dream setup, and I am very happy with my tone...Beautiful, but very aggressive when you dig in...

Ever heard of Paul D' Amour? He used a Rick into a Bass 400, and I can almost clone his tone... he used a CS4001, while mine is a run-of-the-mill '03 4003...now when I make stuff up, my guitarist says "umm, that sounds a little too Toolish"

Dammit.

6. :)

7. i run my 4003 out of mesa powerhouse cabs and it sounds amazing... like of cruch and punch, cuts through in my band alot.

8. dvon1981

dvon1981

Jan 12, 2006
    I actually might have an opportunity to pick up a used mint condition powerhouse 410 for $500. That a good deal? I play a '72 Rickenbacker 4001 so I've been wondering about this sound as well.

9. Are you kidding?? 500 bucks for a mint powerhouse 410 is from what i understand amazing. there usually go for like 700ish used. and my new 2x10 was like 650 i think.

i really like that sound cus its a bas known for high treble and cabs known for great lows. i think it has the perfect amount of crunch and tone with some nice warm lows as well. but i do play a 4003 which everyone says is a "totally different monster" and i dont know if they mean they have different sound of tone.

i feel bad cus i feel this should kinds be in the amp section.