Rickenbacker thru a mesa boogie?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ripper75, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    anyone own this combo? i am very curious about the sound.
  2. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    One word......CRUNCH!!!!!
  3. FLMetalHead

Dec 20, 2005
    The only person that I have seen use that rig was Laura Godfrey of The Demigods. She had great metal tone. I dont know if thats the tone that you want, but for shred metal it seemed to work great for her. It was amazingly thick and gritty, but still had a little bit of glimmer and bite like no other. If I remember correctly, she ran through a Pre Amp though.
  4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Which Rickenbacker? Which Mesa Boogie? Which speakers? What EQ settings? These things make a difference.

The Rickenbacker I used to have through the Mesa I used to have sounded very good the way I used to have the EQ set. Of course I was using the speakers I used to have, and playing the Rickenbacker the way I played it. I also played a Rickenbacker in a store through a Mesa and did not like it at all.
  5. I play a Rick through a Mesa Bass 400, and I like it better than the SVT, which is also nice.... But the natural Hi Fi, yet dirty sound of my Mesa seems to be a perfect match for the Rick in my book

This is my dream setup, and I am very happy with my tone...Beautiful, but very aggressive when you dig in...

Ever heard of Paul D' Amour? He used a Rick into a Bass 400, and I can almost clone his tone... he used a CS4001, while mine is a run-of-the-mill '03 4003...now when I make stuff up, my guitarist says "umm, that sounds a little too Toolish"

6. :)
  7. i run my 4003 out of mesa powerhouse cabs and it sounds amazing... like of cruch and punch, cuts through in my band alot.
  8. dvon1981

Jan 12, 2006
    I actually might have an opportunity to pick up a used mint condition powerhouse 410 for $500. That a good deal? I play a '72 Rickenbacker 4001 so I've been wondering about this sound as well.

9. Are you kidding?? 500 bucks for a mint powerhouse 410 is from what i understand amazing. there usually go for like 700ish used. and my new 2x10 was like 650 i think.

i really like that sound cus its a bas known for high treble and cabs known for great lows. i think it has the perfect amount of crunch and tone with some nice warm lows as well. but i do play a 4003 which everyone says is a "totally different monster" and i dont know if they mean they have different sound of tone.

i feel bad cus i feel this should kinds be in the amp section.