Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AstralTraveler, Jul 20, 2004.

1. AstralTraveler

AstralTraveler

Jun 23, 2004
    How can I get a more Rickenbacker type tone out of my Fender P-bass? I love the sounds Geddy Lee got songs on "By Tor and the Snow Dog", "Xanadu" and "Cygnus X-1 pt 2". Really clear and defined with presence. How can I get in that ballpark without buying a Rick?

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Well, if you're feeling adventurous you could (or have someone) rewire the pickup (or install a toggle system to switch between the two) so the two pickup halves are run in parallel instead of series. Running in parallel will brighten up the tone and since the P pickup is close to where the bridge pickup (which is a single coil pickup incidentally) is on a Rick, you'll sorta be in the same ballpark.

Other than that, crank the treble up. ;)

3. AstralTraveler

AstralTraveler

Jun 23, 2004
    a friend of mine suggested that I get an EMG P series pickup. Dunno though. I always heard that those have sucked out mids, and that what the Rick tone is all about. I just want an extremely clear and punchy sound that will cut through anything yet not sound thin and crappy. Love that "dooo" sound Ged got back then though..drool.

4. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    ...why geddy? you must want a Squire tone with a name like that!!! :)

dun, dun, dun, "astral traveller"

dun, dun, dun, "leaving without herrrrrr..."

:)

5. AstralTraveler

AstralTraveler

Jun 23, 2004
    oh don't get me wrong, love Chris Squire, one of my all time favs. But Geddy's tone in the mid 70's was the cats ass to me. Every time I listen Farewell or Hemispheres I start drooling. The only thing is I love the look and feel of Fender P-basses, the Ricks just don't do it for me, looks or feel. I just want that sound outta my baby. I really like Steve Harris and his playing, but the bassy tone he gets just isn't for me..definitley love the look of a Fender though. *dooo d d do doo doo* XANADU!

6. AstralTraveler

AstralTraveler

Jun 23, 2004
    hmmm, wonder if a humbucker like the 35j would help.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Seriously... It's not like Geddy even plays his Ric anymore, unless he has too... I just watched Rush in Rio, & don't recall seeing anything other than his black jazz & his red jazz.

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Think he's a sellout? just doing it for the cash? I for one miss the RIC!

9. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I think his Ricks mainly just hang up on his studio walls these days. (If you look closely you can spot a Rick doubleneck lurking in the back.)

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wish I knew another way to get the Rick tone other than a Rick. I love Dave Meros tone. I wish I could get a wide spaced 5 string that had that sound.:(

11. Man, I want a Ric sooooo badly.

Between Early Rush, Tool's first two albums, and Acacia's Motorhead tribute band...

Grr.... :mad: :bawl:

12. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    uhm.... YES?!??!?!?! HELLLLLOOO!O!!!!

13. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    They're not that great of a bass :p.. They have amazing tone, but 20 frets, and horrible slap tone. It's a great instrument though, great feel and easy to play.

14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Time to get a Ric! :D

Maybe the EMG's will help, but I'd definitely try to hear a sample before spending the cash. You might be happier just keeping your bass intact and trading it off, or buying a Ric and selling yours. If you want to do that though, play a Ric in the store first, and make sure you like the way it sounds when you play it.

It's funny, but I have this old Hondo Longhorn bass cheapie (see my avatar) and it sounds kind of like a cross between a Precision and a Ric (I also own a 1978 4001). Maybe it's the pickups, maybe it's the fact that it's a thin maple body, or maybe the combination of the two.

Marshall

15. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Hmmm...sounds like someone doesn't need a bass...do I see a trade in the works? :smug: ;)

16. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I love my Wicky and I love my Ricky. They're two different animals, and I both give them attention.

17. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    shyte dude, you got sick gear for a youngin' even though one of your basses looks like a schlong, but I've mentioned that already :p

18. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'm not a youngin :p.. I'm just agely challenged.

19. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Just saw Rush a few weeks ago...Geddy played Xanadu (as well as all the other old tunes) on his jazz bass...
    dooo do do dooo...Xa-na-doooo

20. Geddy mostly played the Rickenbacker live and recorded more with his Jazz Bass and even used a Precision on some of the earliest albums (check out their website) he also used vintage svt's in the early days which could also be a factor. Amps can be just as important as guitars for sound (50-50 IMO). I love Rickenbackers though maple neck thru, maple body, two single coils, very unique.