rickenbacker tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DADGUITARD, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I also suggest Peavey t40

2. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

No gaurantees with an MIM, but I'm sure there are some out there that can. The contemporary MIM Standards (especially the ones from about 2009 on with maple boards) are pretty bright.

Geddy gets a pretty convincing Ric growl with his Jazz basses.

3. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    #1 for the jazz bass,an easy instrument to mod in 1,000 different ways. I have a frankenstein jazz that clanks like nobody's business. I wouldn't say it sounds exactly like a Ric,but it has a lot of what most folks want out of a Ric bass,soundwise.(it sounds grat played with a pick) The weird thing to me is i can't seem to get a good Jaco jazz tone out of the bridge pickup unless i overboost mids on my amp.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers

Pretty much any jazz ... it helps to have a maple fretboard.

5. Wait.

What?

Flats?

I think not. Squire used Rotosound round wound strings. Not sure where flats even came into this equation.

Are we talking about another Squire other than Chris?

I would recommend the T-40 too. I'm not sure about the Rockinbetters. I thought those were more looks than sound but I've never played either.

6. bill reed

bill reed

Apr 2, 2012
    scotland
    yes you are right! roto sound swing bass 66s just like have on my Rockinbetter just now,(Silly me!)
    only not double ball type.
    dont know what made me think it was flats the Squires used. thanks for putting me right on that.
    i'm not a big fan of Yes so not tried to get there sound on my Rockinbetter, sound good on beatles and moterhead and even Roger glovers Deep purple songs. sounds good when playing along to Hendrix and Cream too.
    has such a diffrent tone to my EB3 and my Yamaha rxb170, has that rickenbacker clank.
    to give you an idea of how the rockinbetter sounds try this link for some Rush.

7. iloveneds

iloveneds

Dec 18, 2012
    Alex is a truly fantastic bassist, definitely highly underrated, I'm a huge Ned's Atomic Dustbin fan -two bassists, how can you go wrong? ;) Love all his high end chord work, the first person to truly open my eyes to what the bass was truly capable of. Tone wise, I know his Rickenbacker had the stock bridge pickup swapped for a Status jazz pickup and he often used metal picks.

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    You he was not a flatwound string guy at all.

9. bill reed

bill reed

Apr 2, 2012
    scotland
    it was me that said to get his sound use flats not Tarrbot he was putting me right on it.
    don't know where i got that from. my mistake. sorry!!!

10. I had a maple fingerboard USA Peavey Foundation that sounded a LOT like a Ric. I think it had a maple body too, which could account for the tone. It was a sunburst, and I've heard Peavey used several different woods for their bodies back then.

11. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    There are some nice high quality youtube vids of a direct comparison between a Rick and a T-40. I can see how they would sit in the mix in a similar way and they both sound great, but to me they don't sound very much alike.

The closest thing I've heard to a Rick is a Jazz. It came close to the Chris Squire tone. Part of that deal is substantial fret rattle. For some reason it just sounds good on a Rick (Don't care for it otherwise)

12. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

It's not overboosting if it achieves the sound you want.

13. +1

I have an '80s Super Ferrite Foundation Bass that definitely gets in Ric territory.

14. No worries, Bill. Just thought I might have misread who we were talking about.

That Rockinbetter doesn't sound half bad. Slightly different, though. Maybe it's the amp.

15. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Didn't Alex use a Sting Ray?

16. bill reed

bill reed

Apr 2, 2012
    scotland
    he has a bit of compression on it and i think that makes it sound not as clear as a Ric does, Its also one of the older (think 2005) basses with the badass type bridge, they did not sell to well here in the UK so they went back to the Ric style bridge, think that helps the sound too.
    you do get that wonderful clang that i don't get for any of my other basses and have tried but its just not there.
    you having so many Rics you will know just what i mean.
    do you not think the sound of the 4001 and the 4003 is diffrent!

Baker on here! has both a rockenbetter 4001 and a black Ric 4001 and he fitted ric pups to the rockenbetter and he said its still not the same as his Ric but its close.
    i think its close but not quite there!
    maybe only a Ric sounds like a Ric but the Rockinbetter is close!
    cheers

17. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    It's called a Fender Jazz bass, and you can get them just EVERYWHERE.

18. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

That depends on the specific Rickenbacker tone(s) you're looking for.

On a 4001/4003 I pretty much use the pickups separately. Either I'm playing using just the bridge pickup, or just the neck pickup, for completely different sounds, which I switch between depending on parts of a song.

The Fender Jazz bass is good at copping the tone of a Rickenbacker with both pickups on, but it is not good at copping the tones I like getting from a Rickenbacker. The J's bridge pickup by itself is quiet and in my opinion a bit more shrill than a Rickenbacker's (except with the cap engaged), and the neck pickup of a J by itself is not nearly as deep as a Rickenbacker's neck pickup on its own.

I think these two basses somewhat intersect on a couple tones, but each have a large number of other tones that the other can't get so easily.

19. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Something else to consider is SGD pickups, Some of Davids first couple versions did a great job at capturing that sound, Maybe Contact TB'er SGD Lutherie, he is easy to talk with and makes some killer pickups.

20. iloveneds

iloveneds

Dec 18, 2012
    T'was Mat who played the StingRay :bassist:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021