rickenbacker tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DADGUITARD, Dec 18, 2012.

1. DADGUITARD

DADGUITARD

Nov 14, 2012
  2. DADGUITARD

DADGUITARD

Nov 14, 2012
    yeah alex is a beast biggest influence on my style.

being a ned's fan makes you one of the most highly evolved people on earth.

3. DADGUITARD

DADGUITARD

Nov 14, 2012
    no that was mat

4. DADGUITARD

DADGUITARD

Nov 14, 2012
    i think i might save up for a mim lake placid blue jazz bass with a maple neck thanks guys :)

5. thiocyclist

thiocyclist

Sep 19, 2012
    I've never understood why people can say a Jazz or T-40 sound like a Ric. They can growl till the cows come home, better than a Ric honestly... but the Ric has a punch that is all its own. The low end and high end of the Ric are both totally different so whatever pickup you use it doesn't sound anything like any other bass I know. The pickups are in different positions, the wood is different, the neck construction is different, the tailpiece is different... list goes on and on.

But then there's "the Ric sound" which is more imagined than real. And I believe Jazz or T-40 can handle that just fine...

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Squier Classic Vibe Precision '50s Bass Guitar Butterscotch Blonde

51fender_precision_bass.jpg

7. DADGUITARD

DADGUITARD

Nov 14, 2012
    that headstock says fender

8. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    My theory on why my T40 sounds the most like my Ric is pup position. When the T40 is in single coil mode (both tones all the way up), the coils that are active kinda line up with where the 4001's are (see below). You right about everything else being different but there is no other bass I've personally heard that gets as close. I'm told that the Ovation Magnum does but don't have any direct experience with it. I guess in theory it shouldn't but in real life it does. :D

gallery_Rickenbacker_4001_3D_04.jpg
    [​IMG]

9. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    After hearing the Fender Blacktop Jazz Bass, I'd also like to nominate that for a Rickish tone.

10. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    You can play a Fender Jazz finger style and still sound very close to Chris Squire. It's more about technique then the bass itself. I prefer My Jaguar when Jamming to Yes and Rush songs. I actually prefer to use My Ric for Blues.
    KGrHqFoEFBcnY9tlpBQivm4blg60_57.gif
    KGrHqZnwFBYNPd8wTBQiuWHIw60_57.gif

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021