1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker truss rod trouble...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PrairieThunder13, Nov 13, 2017.

1. PrairieThunder13

PrairieThunder13

Dec 21, 2015
    Hey friends, i was hoping for a little help and a little opinion: I've been having some problems with my neck - it has about 20 thousandths relief and its to the pint where the upper register is buzzing if i dig in. Now, this 4001 is new to me and its the first time ive popped the cover. So i adjusted the truss rods like you do with any 4001 (with the clamp and board manyally flexing the neck into position then snugging the nuts down retaining the straightness), but this procedure did nothing. Upon closer inspection, i saw that the thrust plate is angled and that the holes are big enough that now the chiseled ends of the top folded section of the rods are inside the holes. take a look at the rods on my 4001 (its the burgundyglo one), then take a look at the rods on the mapleglo for reference of what they should look like. Now, my questin is how should I go about fixing this? I was thinking of either fashioning a new thrust plate or making some sort of insert with the proper sized holes to place in between the plate and the chiseled ends of the rods... is my problem as simple as this, or is there something else wrong here? IMG_1270.JPG IMG_1271.JPG

2. radapaw

radapaw

Mar 22, 2000
    Canada
    I'd try loosening the rods and using a block of wood and a mallet to reseat the thrust plate, (even on the mapleglow it looks a little pushed out), and the re-adjusting. The rods don't anchor in the body so this isn't uncommon. That said, a new thrust plate isn't a bad idea, a slightly longer one can help keep the rods from pointing down and digging out the headstock, and brass won't get chewed out like the original plate

PrairieThunder13 likes this.
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Make a new thrust plate/spacer bar out of brass, and make it 50-100% thicker to prevent it rotating downward.

PrairieThunder13 likes this.
  4. PrairieThunder13

PrairieThunder13

Dec 21, 2015
    Good idea - i guess that's what i'll do

5. PrairieThunder13

PrairieThunder13

Dec 21, 2015
    Yeah, i figure i might as well just make a new one

6. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Also, make sure the holes that the rods go through are not too much larger than the rods so prevent what is happening, now. You only want the threaded part to go through the spacer; the beveled edges of the other half require being thrust against the side of the bar to function correctly.

Rickenbacker Truss Rod Diagram-a.
    Jeffrey P. Scott drawing Copyright © 2017 All rights reserved.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  7. PrairieThunder13

PrairieThunder13

Dec 21, 2015
    Thanks for that Jeff, that's a great drawing by the way :)

8. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    You mean, my hack PS skills are that evident? :D

9. PrairieThunder13

PrairieThunder13

Dec 21, 2015
    Ha! It's better than mine - i barely know know to turn on a computer...

10. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Well, I just goof around on Photoshop to figure out how to do things. I figured this out when I was designing a few speaker grill concepts for my fireplace.