Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker vs. Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pet, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Natural finish Rickenbacker 4003

35 vote(s)
    68.6%
  2. Butterscotch blonde Fender Telecaster bass

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Both

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    If you were to have one of these basses, which would it be?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nothing special against the telebass, but the rick is a way better instrument on all aspects.
    Except for slap.
    But who would get a telebass for slap anyway ?

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    do you want the truth?

i own a rickenbacker 4001 in mapleglo and i just ordered a '51 RI Precision bass in butterscotch blonde. so i am not the best person to indicate the way.

i got them both!!!

4. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I own a Rickenbacker!
    I do not own a Fender.
    ;)

5. frosty

frosty

Feb 18, 2003
    Southern USA
    Jazz Ad .. you're right the Rick is a better bass ex-
    cept for one thing...TONE.

6. I think the Rick is a better bass - I'm beginning to like their tone more every second.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Tell me about a regular precision bass and I MAY agree.
    But a Telebass, come on. The neck pickup on the rick is 10 times deeper.

8. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    Regarding Frosty- well young man i respect your opinion and you can have your own opinion, but your wrong. If your having problems with tone maybe youe should check your fingers.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Opinions can never be wrong. Play nice!

10. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    Its my opinion that they can be wrong

11. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    if someone said "bass sucks" their opinion would be wrong. ;)

12. hmmm. see when the thread came up, i thoguht "ill go for fender, the fender jazz bass is so versatile that no matter what, your gonna be good with it" not that your not gonna be good with the rich, i just like the jazz more. but then, it comes up the fender tele bass..ugh, go for the rich man.

13. I used to own a Rickenbacker Tuxedo bass that I had bought new and that I regret ever selling.
    I now own only one bass and it is a Fender Custom Shop Vinatge Precision with a Tele headstock and a PJ pickup configuration. Great sounding very versatile bass that I would choose over the Rickenbacker. But it would be nice to own both.

14. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I own both and love both:D :cool:
    Two totaly different tone animals in my opinion, The Tele is more traditional sounding big and thumpy at least mine is and my Ric is much more grindy or in your face kinda tone.

15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Back in the dark ages (mid '70s) when I got my first bass, I wanted a Ric in the worst way. Chris Squire, Geddy Lee and Roger Glover were among my favorite players. A guitarist friend of my Dad suggested that I get a Fender (he actually preferred Gibson basses). So my first bass was a brand new (but nasty) P Bass.

I never did get a Ric but am getting the itch again after helping a friend restore his...

If the tele bass you're describing is like the original P bass (and Sting bass) with a mid position single coil, that would be a nice instrument too. Not too sure about the second generation Tele bass with the under cover P Pup (I think based on the fact that the guitar humbuckers that Fender produced during that time were P like in configuration) up by the neck...too much velvet thunder for my taste.

16. I'm afraid I'm biased towards the Fender. I've had my '57 P-Bass since about '66. In our younger days together this bass fell down a long flight of stairs without a case, not once but several times (without a mark or problem)... now why this happened is another story. I've owned several Ricks, but none of them could have survived that type of abuse. The Fender is rock solid.

No argument that the Rick has a great tone - but in it's own right nothing "punches" like a P.

17. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Hmm, I'm a practicing member of the High Church of Leo Fender, but the Telecaster basses never did it for me. I voted Rick.

18. frosty

frosty

Feb 18, 2003
    Southern USA
    Pet..I'm not a young man but I've been playing bass
    since I was. Ricks are quality instruments and I
    wouldnt kick one out of bed, but they're known for
    a high-mid, trebly type tone. Ricks are also visually striking, but I'd take a '53 P-bass even for the bottom. Now admittedly, that gnarly old plank won't win any beauty contests but I'm just a Fender kind of guy. By the way, my fingers are OK but my feet are killing me.

19. IM with Lurker. I love fenders. Not so much the tele bass.

20. You know what pet??~?? Get what bass YOU want. Not what bass we want. Im sure when you started this thread, you liked one of thoes bass just a little more. But you wernt sure if thats the one to go with. So you posted this to eather get pushed over the edge and get the one you wanted, or be turned around. But really, what you need to do is read through these posts. Listen to what people are saying. Then go out and just try the bass's. A bass isent just about one thing in particular, and sure, both of these bass's have ups and downs. But what bass fits YOU. Maby you'll go out, and hear someone playing the tele, and know "thats the bass for you" and sit down and hold it and instantly, you know its not gonna fit you. And because of that, maby you will like the tele....tone lets say a little better, you will grab the ric, because thats what fits YOU. Try them out man, listen to yourself, close your eyes and let your body and ears decide.

Goodluck -
    Imp.