Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rickenbacker yay or nay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seb060790, Oct 3, 2005.

1. seb060790

seb060790

Sep 26, 2005
    i asked a way more general question hoping somone would give me an unbiased perspective on rick basses, but that did jack **** so i'll cut to the chase:

does anyone have any experiences with rickenbacker basses good or bad and do they have a nice flatwound sound, if they dont what basses do :rolleyes:

2. I've got one and it's a definite "yay" bass for me. I'm assuming that you haven't gotten your mitts on one yourself so be warned that they have rather large necks and that the top of the body isn't contoured. Both of those things tend to be off-putting to a lot of people. To me, I'm not bothered by either and I just love the sound. I've only played mine with roundwounds but I have heard that flatwounds tame the rauciousness if the Ric a bit. I'm not really sure what you're looking for sound-wise so I can't really comment on whether that's a nice flatwound sound to your ears. IMO one can never go wrong with a Ric.

3. I swear by my Rickenbacker.

It's easily the most distinguishable bass both tonally and aesthetically to play.

Check out my profile and see what I'm comparing it to...

I gig, record, and practice with it moreso than my Quantum, Sterling, so on... it's just "my" bass.

4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North.
    Flats on Ricki's sound great. Listen to the Beatle's song Penny Lane or Come Together, 1st Cars album, The Jam,Thunder Clap Newman's (Something in the air?) for some great Rick with flats sounds. I used Roto Tape Wounds on mine at various times and liked it.
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I haven't owned or played a Rick since 1987 and don't prefer their sound for my style today, but they are great basses. If the sound and feel is for you, go for it.

Solidly made, signature sound, pricing is reasonable. Plenty of historic records were made on those basses. But not outdated by any means.

I read that Rick James never played one before posing with a white Rick bass on his historic album cover . . . he chose it because it was sexy . . . 'nuff said . . . .

6. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I had a 4003... it wasnt especially comfortable for me to play, the body edges are a bit sharp, and I used to bash my hands open on the protruding hardware, but your experience may be totally different depending on your playing style

the one sound they do that nothing else can do better is that clanky both-pickups-on grind... and if that's what you need, then they're perfect...

I didn't find the more 'traditional' thumpy bass sounds the Rick gave me were any more usable than a Fender P or J, in fact the Fenders always seemed to sit better in the mix than my Rick... the Rick had to be drowning everything else out to work well.. which is erm... great in the right context

I personally wouldn't get a Rickenbacker and put flats on it

their build quality is probably the most consistent over the years, compared to Gibson and Fender... you'll never find a bad year for Rickenbackers

7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I love Rickenbackers with flats or wounds, but not everybody does...if you can try one first (or get a good price on a used one), it's worth waiting for.

Marshall

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Been playing Ric basses since 1978, I have two with flats(I play in a Beatles band), and one with rounds that I use in my originals band. They are very punchy, have a unique tone, and are very well built.
    [​IMG]

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I thought my geddyized 4003 (SD replacement HBs and badassII bridge) was the best playing and sounding 4 string I've ever played. Definitely one of the most comfortable necks I've played on. The body edges are sharp though and did dig into my picking had forearm.
    -Bazz-

10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    100% 'yay', and flats sound very nice on Ricks.

11. hasadari

hasadari

Jun 23, 2005
    I have a '78 Rick 4001 and, swear by it. It depends on the sound you are looking for. Its the one long-term bass hold that I've ever had.

12. YAY for Ricks! :bassist:

I played a Rick last February; it was the first time I had picked one up in over 20 years.

WHAT A TREAT !!!

Not only are they extremely well built, but they are versatile too. If you roll the treble off and just use the neck pup they will give you a nice, mellow, round tone. It's a nice balance to the bridge only pup sound Ricks are famous for. I was also very impressed with the sweep of the volume/tone controls; they worked very well.

I believe that Timothy Schmidt of The Eagles used a Rick with flats on many of their biggest hits, although I'm not 100% sure.

They have a distinct non-Fender tone that I think would round out anyone's arsenal nicely.

Get a Rick !!! :cool:

Mike ;)

13. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Yay!

I'd say they have easily the most recognisable tone of any bass out there, and they look pretty funky too. The Rickenbacker sound isn't personally what I go for, but I like it.

14. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I have found Rics to offer me every tone I could possibly need. Playability wise they fit me like a glove. I'll agree that the lack of contour to the body and various sharp edges can be a pain but they are a small price to pay for how smooth they play and the heavenly tone.

Another option would be to look into a 4004Cii.....traditional Ric tone with a kick to the lows and a contoured body without any sharp edges.

4003 or 4004 you can't go wrong :bassist:

15. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas

You could get a 4001S, 4001CS, 4003S, 4001V63, 4001C64, or 4001C64S. Just a few of the more "traditional" Ric basses that don't have the binding/sharp edge on the body.

16. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I agree....and I also think that the sharp edges/binding issue is a non-issue......but I can see how it might be a problem for others.

17. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Same here, one of my Rics has binding and it never bothers me.

18. Do i really need to comment. :cool:

19. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    if the price wasnt 1000+ i would have tehm like i have jazzes but man ricks are the sweetest, and the few i have giged with sound killer