Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker year identification.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Hi everyone I just bought a usd rickenbacker 4001 today from guitar center. They told me it was a 85 by the serial number but it didnt seem right to me so I looked it up. The serial starts with a TJ wich says it is a 1980. But it has the open back tuners wich they stopped using in 1971 and it is neck through not a set neck swich they switched to in the mid 70's. Also it has the 7 sided knobs with the silver tops on them. I looked up the color and it is a burgundy finish wich they offerered from 1963-1984. do you think this could be older then an 80 and they replaced the output jack and got a new serial number on it or am I missing something?

p.s. it also has the triangular block inlays. and on the truss rod cover it says made in USA model 4001

2. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    mine is a 1983 and its like yours.. except from the tuners (gotoh) and the color (black)

3. The other thing about it is the headstock seems to be a little larger then I remeber a rick being. Maybe it is my eyes just messing with me or maybe it is me looking for something more then it is.. or maybe its just been that long since I seen a rick in person. but I seen that a rics made there headstocks smaller at one point and wondered if this could have been before then.

4. Also does anyone know how the mono jack on a 4001 is supposed to work.. the stereo jack on mine works fine but the mono jack is only the Neck ( I believe I am aty work so I cant double check) pickup... Is it supposed to onlyu be one pickup or is there something wrong with the wiring

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You have the jacks mixed up. The mono jack has both pickups, the stereo will only work with one unless you have the Rick-o-sound kit and two amps or inputs.

6. I meant with a mono cable one jack I get the neck pickup to work the other I get the bridge pickup to work. With a Stereo cable and a stero 1/4" to 2 mono 1/4" I am getting both pickups working bye plugging into both channels of my Mesa 400+

7. Well we have figured out that it is a 1980 we are 99% sure. Now I just need to find a wiring diagram for it. Does anyone have any Ida where to find one? Also is a 1980 rick something that would fall into a vintage instrument category. Is a 80 ric worth more cause of age or just what aric in that shape would go for?

8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto