Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jebthebassist, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    I'm looking to trade in my musicman stingray for a fretless rickenbacker. Ive heard good things bout these basses. Im not to satisfied with the stingray anymore... seems all i can get is treble (used to get some nice warm bass) anyways can anyone tell me what they think of these basses and the types of tones/styles you can get from them? I saw les claypool playing a rick on a dvd... it sounded very very good. thanks for the help

2. I've had my Rick for just over 3 years now and I couldn't be happier with it. I can get pretty much any tone I want from it, but I will say that popping can be kind of difficult when you first start on it because of the placement of the neck pickup. Also, try and search for the Rickenbacker mega-thread, loads of information in there.

3. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    If you're looking for a used fretless Rick, there were two of them for sale at Bass Northwest last time I looked.

I've never played a fretless one myself.

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The bridge pickup is trebbly with lots and lots of growl like the ray but the neck is much much thicker and has lots of low end. And I haven't played a ray that came close to a Rick in tone or playability.

5. A good Ric (especially an older one) will play like butter. Amazing feel. The sound is pretty standard, Ric tone. Basically, you will have a lot of cutting mid. You can get a bassy tone but it'll still growl like crazy. The only fretless Ric I tried had an aftermarket fingerboard, but it played nicely.

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Both are obviously two different animals, and both are true classics, but I personally prefer the tone and playability of the Rick.

I've since replaced my stock pickups with Barts, so IMO it's low end response is greater when compared to it's original pickups, which is a mixed blessing. It now has a lot warmer tone, but I regret changing the pickups; it doesn't sound like a Rick anymore. Duh! My mistake :oops: .

Hopefully you're in an area where you can do some StingRay/Rick side-by side testing.

My string bass instructor in college had a factory fretless Rick 4001 in Maple-Glo, I only played it a few times but it was a really special bass.

Best wishes, -Art