Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Does anyone know where I can buy a fairly Rickenbacker bass? Preferablly 4003, because the 4001 is pushing it :p

if you know, please let me know. I'm also from Canada!

2. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
    I would start here:

http://www.the-music-connection.com/ric.htm

This is the best place to go for rics in my opinion.

http://www.pickofthericks.com is another place people seem to have a good opinion of, but I've never dealt with them. Besides that you have musicians friend, music123, zzounds, etc. I ordered a ric from MF and it was scratched in a few spots along with other minor gripes. They took it back though no questions asked, so it wouldn't hurt to try one out from them, just be careful. You might as well buy a new one because there resale value is insane. You often see them on ebay fetch just as much if not more than you can buy a new one for. Good luck.

3. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    ebay can sometimes be a great place but at the same time the worst. i got my 1980 4001 off of craigslist.org for $800. but thats kinda not the same.

4. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I payed a little under $800 for my 4003 on ebay. I remember seeing a Chris Squire for like a $1000. I thought it was ugly at the time with the lack of binding. I wish I bought it now, because I heard they sell for twice that much now.

5. I satisfy all of my new Rickenbacker GAS though Pick Of The Ricks. The owner, Chris, is a really great guy to deal with.

6. Try Capsule Music on Queen St. W. in Toronto, they have used Rics there all of time. If you're looking for new ones you can have any Long & McQuade store order one for you because they're a dealer.

7. Vanagon

Vanagon

Nov 13, 2004
    I scored a 4003 on ebay for $650 a few years back, tinkered with the setup a bit and left my p-basses in their cases ever since. Ebay can be a great place to buy a bass if your careful about it, and have actually played the same model.