Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jul 9, 2001.

1. I noticed a lot of Dutch metalbands use rickenbacker basses..

what's so special about rickenbacker, besides the fact that they look nice ? or is it just coincidence ?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you like it, it's got something special, if you don't like it, it dosen't. :)

Ric's are know for having a very trebbly sound that cuts through very well. In a band of heavy guitars, it cut's through very well & the bassist can be heard.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, perhaps it's just that they're Motörhead fans.
    Lemmy uses a Ric.

4. They have a tone like no other...deep and punchy yet they also have this ringing trebly sustain. Hitting the open E on a Ric with roundwound sounds almost like striking the same low E note on a piano...it thumps and sustains. Using one with overdrive gets a very cutting growl...listen to Motorhead as someone else mentioned Lemmy as well or Chris Squire on the Yes song Roundabout.

5. I know, I am sad, I think all my posts have to do with these guys, but listen to Chris Squire on just about ANY song Yes played (mostly Chris squire, although I know Geddy plays a Ric also at time) and you can hear a very distinct sound comming from the bass... and Yes plays a buttload of instruments, for example, for utter chaos listen to "Close to the Edge" by yes, specificly the one off of their Yes Songs album which is live, but any version really, and through all of that wonderfull noise, you can still hear the bass clicking away as he attacks it at 100mph (or being British, I suppose 150kph... :) ) Its amazing... also amazing that someone with a pick on a Ric can get such great sonorous notes for some of their songs.. Ok, this is now a tangent, officially that is, for example The Fish, I can't spell the real name.. lol :) His ric with a pick, and my Jazz Bass, finger style, notes sound exactly the same, but when I try to play pick style on a Ric at music stores, I can't get that sound.. woe is me.. lol oh well.. Uhh Yes, Rickenbackers are just cool.. I'd buy one myself if I had the cash, but my money is going towards a nice good Fender Jazz bass as opposed to me old 1979 Matao Jazz Bass (don't look them up.. I think they're all dead and gone now as a company) which is old and splitting, and crappy, but I love it too much.. I think I will name it: Bertha.. (it has a bit of a weight problem, 17lbs and its a FOUR STRING!!!! OUCH!! :( ) and my new Fender Jazz Bass will be my mistress :) yeah I'm crazy... :) I know...

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    ricks are awesome. they are not modern basses, they have a trademark sound and an incredible quality in materials and craftmanship. the neck is the best one i have played, thin, confortable and allows a really good action. i play my mapleglo 4001 with finger and roundwound, but i'll try the flat as soon as possible. in my opinion the BASSES are
    fender p
    fender j
    gibson t-bird
    gibson ripper
    rick

nuff said

do a search, the rickenbacker thread was one of the longest of the all forum...

7. Hmm

i tried one at a store today.. the rickenbacker sounded nice indeed..

8. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    I also tried one for the first time yesterday. I really like the sound. And the neck is really easy to play.

9. Now that you guys mention the Rickenbacker sound...does that explain the great sound coming from Geddy Lee's Ricken bass (if that was it) on songs like "Red Barchetta"? The sound is awesome on that one.

I do think he was still using that Rickenbacker then, right? He picked up the XL and the J later from what I know...

10. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    sorry to burst your bubble, but he used the Jazz Bass on Moving Pictures. the Steinberger was only used on Grace Under Pressure.

11. ...but... like it matters... :) FFFFFFF... Geddy is just Geddy (that's a lot). You kick ass on a J you will on Rick on an Ibanez on a Spector...:D