Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Imabassplayr, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Imabassplayr

Aug 5, 2001
    How do their basses sounds... i haven't played on one but they look cool heh.
  2. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    When it comes to bass, sound doesn't matter right? :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter if we like it or not. You need to play one for yourself. Some people like peaches some people don't.
  3. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Me, I love mine - it's got a nice fast neck, great action, and is a lot more versatile in tone than I expected. Fiddling around with the levels between the two pups gives a lot of tonal range. The lows are a little subdued, but the mids and highs are outstanding. I consider it to be easily the best bass I've ever owned, and if I could find another one without frets, I could stop lookin for new basses altogether!

4. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Love mine, too. It has a unique sound and feel that many --like me-- love and many others --particularly fender partisans-- hate. Although I've seen it used for Funk occassionally, my feeling is that it is best suited for rock and for either finger or pick-style playing. Slapping is not impossible, but other basses are better suited.

However it is my all time favorite bass sound, particularly in the upper registers. Great sustain and overall response. Hard to describe the sound, but here are some listening suggestions:

flatwound string sound: Paul McCartney's post-1965 beatle recordings, particularly With a Little Help From My Friends, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, and (I believe) Paperback Writer. I believe he plucks with his thumb.

roundwound string sound: any Rush recording prior to Moving Pictures, particularly Spirit of Radio, Free Will, or La Villa Strangato (two finger plucking); most recordings by Yes (using a pick), including All Good People, Roundabout, The Fish, and It Can Happen. I also believe that early REM, such as Radio Free Europe and early Pretenders (Precious, Mystery Achievement) involve picked Rickenbackers.