Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kristkustoms, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Just curious if anyone has played any of the 4004 series Rickenbacker basses, either the Cheyenne or Laredo. There isnt any stores around my area that has any of these to play, let alone any first hand information about these basses.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    When I did a search on "4004" a few months ago, and then started a thread just like this one, I came up with:
    - a bunch of people who were interested in info, but had never even seen one (like you and I), and
    - I think one person who played one, but didn't like it because it wasn't as "rickenbacker-y" as a 4001/4003. Which I think is supposed to be the point!

Maybe, hopefully, you'll find something different. Good luck with the world's biggest thread!

Me, I'm interested in the 4004 5-string. But I guess I have as much chance of ever seeing one as I do of seeing a Ritter or a Basslab or a Pagelli.

BTW my local Rick dealer, who claims to be one of the biggest ones in the region, said they only carry the "classic" Ricks- meaning 4003 and 4001 reissue and beatle-type guitars. :(

4. bbob24

bbob24

May 23, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Hi,

I do own a Ric 4004-CII 4 string and it's a wonderful instrument. It doesn't have that "RIC" sound that you hear from the 4003's, which is the reason I bought it.

What other kind of info are you looking for?

Bob

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    What does it sound like?
    How is the feel, as compared to other Ricks or other basses?

6. bbob24

bbob24

May 23, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa
    It's a nice playing bass. It's sound is, in my opinion, smoother than other RIC models like the 4003. It's a very well balanced bass and it's comfortable to play. I'm not all that crazy about the RIC humbucking pickups, but they're not bad. And I'd also like a longer scale, like maybe 35".

All in all it's a fine guitar.

7. :oops:

i used to own a 4001....
    i pd $450 for it, played it for 5 yrs, hated the fact that they never had a decent slap sound.

sold it to a friend for $450, shipped it to him and it got lost in the mail.

i wish i still had that bass for fingerstyle playing, and considering what they're worth these days.

8. bbob24

bbob24

May 23, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa
    I'm not much of a slap player, but I can see that RIC wouldn't be the way to go for that style. I play mainly with a pick mostly, with some finger playing thrown in and it's very good for what I do