Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassguy187, Oct 28, 2000.

1. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    hey guys i was just wondering what your thoughts were
    on the rickenbacker 4003
    i'm thinkin' on gettin' one.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I played one a few weeks back, and to tell you the truth, I wasn't impressed. I couldn't find a good anchor for my thumb, (like on top of a regular pickup) and they aren't ment for slap, and the sound and tone didn't blow me away, and the neck was vaugely out of shape. Not like problem, it just didn't feel like a good bass.

Of course, that's me. There are people here who will now seek me out and kill me :D

A lot of people here swear by them like they do the bible, and they'll tell you what's good on em. I'm just not a fan. But, hey, whatever floats your boat. Get one. I don't like them, buyt they ARE a quality bass, and like I said, some people love em to death.

3. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    its cool i don't need a place to put my thumb
    i play with a pick :)
    i'm just lookin' for a really good bass
    with good tone and punchy notes

4. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    I think all of the Rickenbacker basses are really cool.
    An they look cool too!
    And it's cool to say cool all the time :)!

5. bassguy187
    IMO go with the 4001v63 Re-issue, It rocks totally!!!
    I had a 4003 and thought that was fine until I A/B it against the 4001. My eyes nearly bugged out. The V has a better neck, it has a more powerful pickup and it just looks cooler with the dot fret markers. Needless to say, I traded up that day.
    Let me tell you, If you want a powerfull bass that sustains all night long get yourself a Rick. Go find a dealer and try one for yourself.

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I'm with you,Brendan. I HATE Ricks. CAn't stand the sound,the feel anything. But,what do I know?

7. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    yeah tom i have to agree, i have played ricks before,
    i think they have great tone, nice sustain, and a nice warm punchy sound to them (i'm in a punk band) i like a really crunchy punchy springy sounding bass.

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have a 1984 4003 and I love mine great tone, nice neck and it's got great balance. NICE BASSES jmho!!!!

9. the wizard

the wizard

Oct 10, 2000
    Sweden
    Ricks are great basses with a real personality. But, they are not for everyone... My Rickenbacker is great for a sharp rock sound. For jazz or blues i´d go for my Fender P.

10. Love my 4001V63 :D It (and seeing Chris Squire play) got me back into bass playing. The V63s really do rule, and they are total tone monsters with lots of punch and cut. THE bass for pick players. While I'm a Ric guy through and through, I'll be the first to concede they are not for every job...but for rock, and even blues, they can't be beat.

11. Cirrus

Cirrus Guest

Apr 30, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    I played one the other day at GC, and I absolutely fell in love with it. I really really liked the mids and highs. The low end is pretty weak, but I really liked the overall tone. I think I'm going to get one in the not-too-distant future.

Peter

12. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I think they are the best production basses made. I will never be without a 4003.

13. how come i always hear people say "you can't slap on a rick"
    i can, and i love the tone, gives more snap for the buck
    its called adjusting your technique

14. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    As I was practicing the other night, this thought popped into the front of my head: I LOVE the sustain of my 4001!!

15. What little exposure I've had of the Rickenbackers, I like. Yes Chris Squire and Paul McCartney are famous examples of people using Ricks but Roger Waters used it as well (it was during the Syd Barrett days 1965-1968 thereabouts and it was bought using an architectural grant he received while studying at Regent Street Polytechnic!) :)

The point of this: go with what you like and if your studies are frustrating you, get a grant and use it for something (just hope it's a non-categorical grant where you don't have to show your results or findings to a board! :))

I would like to get one in the distant future (I need something called more money first). My good friend is also a appreciative fan of the Rick (because of Chris Squire and I believe Michael Rutherford uses one). But in the mean time, I think I can get my Rachel to sound that way as far as tone (fiddling with the EQ and volume with both bass and amp).

Derek J. Power

16. I played one at Mars the other day. I played it through this nice SWR amp and to tell you the truth, I thought it sounded like @$$. No offense to Rick players, I didn't like the playability, the sound, or anything about it. I think they look SO cool, I just can't stand playing them.

17. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I know the feeling. I'm that way with Fenders. A lot of the professionals that I like use them but I'd rather slam my hand in the car door than play one. After years of playing a Rick, the Fender feels slow and sounds crude by comparison.

I hear Rickenbacker is coming out with a new 6 and 7 string model next spring. I'm looking forward to that.

[Edited by nanook on 11-01-2000 at 08:41 PM]

18. Rutherford used one up to part of The Lamb Lies Down album (1974). After that, his tone went into the toilet IMO. I suspect part of the switch was due to the fact that he used to have to play a doubleneck due to his many quick changes to and from 12 string guitar. The Ric double neck is very heavy. Anyway his best sounding work IMO is the Selling England By The Pound album where most of the bass tracks were recorded using the Ricosound feature on the 4001 - each pickup sent to a different amp.

19. mr.bassman

mr.bassman

Oct 9, 2000
    I used a rickenbacker on my last CD ('cause the electronics on my bass were messed up) It was my producers bass. I LOVED the tone of it, it was very rich and thick. I was considering buying one, but I havent seen a 5-sting Rick model.
    I slapped on it and it worked fine. But I had a little trouble moving my fingers into a new position, because the cover on the pick up is where I usally play.
    I LOVED its fat rich sound, except that the E-sting was not as stong as the other 3, (which is the opposite of my bass).

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey Nanook, whered you hear that? JT's gonna crap his pants when he hears this! Actually kind of interesting. Give some info, big N!