Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker4003 vs Ibanez K5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geezer_Butler, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Rickenbacker 4003

76 vote(s)
    88.4%
  2. Ibanez K5

10 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. Geezer_Butler

Geezer_Butler

Feb 13, 2004
    I want to know if sombody has any of them and can tell good and bad qualities of each one.
    thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    poll speaks for itself.

3. My main bass is a Ric, i cant say anything bad about it :p
    In fact...i want more Ric's. Hardly wait till the summer, look out Ricpage! :D

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If you want the sound of tic tacs going down stairs, then get the K5. :rolleyes:

5. Owned.

6. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Depends on your style. I cant stand Ric's one bit, the design alone makes me wanna puke.

K5 here.

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    You can't argue with Fieldy.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have a Ric 4003, beautiful instrument. Not that good for slap though. The K5 is just a soundgear with a fancy inlay. Which would you choose?

9. Fieldy, a true innovator.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Hmm...A Ric sounds great, looks great (although some don't care for its looks), plays great, and is an American Classic

A K-5...well it's an Ibanez, it's a FiElDy sig. Doesn't seem like much of a contest to me.

11. This is a total apples to oranges comparison. One is a classic, vintage bass, the other is an active 5 string. Figure out what you want, and choose for yourself.

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I voted the K5 just so i can brag about my punkness.

13. I've owned a Ric 4003 for about a year, and have nothing bad to say about it. With the right setup and some practice, it even works well with slap playing. Check out this sound clip that I made with my Ric (it's Stu Hamm's "County Music" solo, which includes both tapping and slap) http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000121467_000015048.mp3

14. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Well I dont think its a very fair poll simply coz of the vast difference between the 2 basses. I have a K5 which I think is a really nice bass, deep and heavy and comfortable to play. Ive never played a ric. I personally dont like the look of them. Ill stick with the K5 for now thanx. :cool:

15. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Nice playing Andy. I have never played or even heard a Ric, however I didn't expect it to get that kind of tone. Not as thumpy as my old fender, but a very cool kind of vintage tone.

What setup changes did you make to get a good slap sound out of your Ric?

I must go try one now. :D

16. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    I don't like old school basses - waste of wood, and design is horrible ... Vote for K5(good bass, only bad thing is that Fieldy signature,scratch it ..:D)
    Peace ..

17. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Their design is what makes them so classic. There's something good about them or they wouldn't still be so popular. I doubt there will still be thousands of bass players gigging on K-5s in 40 years

18. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    and the proof of the pudding, is in the fact its still sweet, reliable and beautiful 40 years on.

19. Without those "horrible" and "wood-wasting" designs, Ibanez would be manufacturing furniture right now.

20. Man, "waste of wood" is a pretty strong statement. It's amazing how a waste of wood is still around after all these years. Besides, the features of the Ric clearly outweigh those of the K5 (like dual truss rods, fingerboard binding, Schaller deluxe tuners, stereo output capability, neck-thru body, etc.) I'd say it was designed pretty well. Ibanez builing a bass and putting that guy from Korn's sig on it was a mistake.