1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker's 4003 neck pickup issue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supremo, Oct 17, 2013.

1. supremo

supremo

Oct 20, 2008
    The neck pickup sounds weaker than the bridge one. Is this normal? I always played with both of them, but today when I played only with the neck pickup I noticed that is very weak comparative to the bridge one.
    Should I check something?

2. lower the bridge pup or raise the neck pup until you get a balance you like...

3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    was the sound normal, and just quiet, or was there some discrepancy in the tone (fuzz, crackling, etc.)? if you have your pup height adjusted correctly, and the signal is still weak, you might wanna check your connections under the pg. also check to see that neck pickup soloed sounds the same (or at least very very similar) to when both pickups are on and the bridge is at zero. (those are both capabilities of a rick, right?) if they dont, i would think it might be a switch problem. idk if any of this is helpful or not, im just trying to provide some possibilities to look into. good luck identifying the problem :)

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    The bridge pickup is stronger because the magnet is bigger ... Adjust the pickup heights to make the volumes more equal. Also a 4003 sounds best when you turn all 4 knobs to 10 and then back off the neck volume to 7 or 8. There is a sweet spot that you hit and the 4003 sounds good.

5. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    Winner chicken dinner. Go forth and rock that bad chicken.

6. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I've never really thought of this as an issue. I prefer the neck pickup a bit weaker in volume. I use it for quiet parts of songs, and the bridge pickup for louder bits.

Obviously, if you want them exactly equal, raise the neck pickup and lower the bridge pickup.