Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbackers and jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mac_the_sac, Apr 29, 2003.

1. I'm interested in getting a Rick, I know the are a very good choice for rock, but the other style of music i play is jazz. How well are the suited to this style.

2. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I own a Rick myself and I have used it for Jazz. It depends on a number of factors. How are you picking it, what type of amp, any gadgets between the bass and the amp, strings used. You get the picture. Can you use it for jazz? Absolutly!

3. Rickenbackerss have very narrow string spacing, if it heLps.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i am a rocker and i ahve always used my 4001 for rock.

i was surprised when i started to see some jazzers (even pro) using rick.

the sound is great for jazz too, flat strings, right setup.

5. Actually, I've found that if you select the neck pickup, you can get close to an upright sort of sound from a Ric. If you string it with flatwounds, you will move more in this direction. So, sure I think that you could play it on a jazz gig.

If you listen to Chris Squire and Paul McCartney, you will hear two ends of the Ric sound. Maybe you will find a sound you like somewhere in between!

6. You didn't specify, so you probably mean a 4001 or 4003 when you say Rick. They are not as much of a one trick pony as some will try to claim. Try some compression wound strings (between roundwound and flatwound in sound), you can get tones that will work for almost everything. RIC offers some compression wound options, and there are a couple others on the market.

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    You might want to consider either a Rickenbacker 4004L (Laredo) or 4004Cii (Cheynne). Both basses come standard with 2 humbucking pickups which offers more flexibility to the player over the standard single coil type pickups found on the 4003.
    You can check them out at www.rickenbacker.com website.
    There is also a 4004Cii5 string that was introduced in 2002 that should be available sometime towards the end of 2003.
    Cheers,
    JC

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i would think that due to the ric's natural bright tone that it would be a great bass for jazz. at least for the walking lines and the few pizzicato solos youd get.

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Many of the 4001s I've played sound like they would be quite good in a jazz context.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ever heard Ron Carter on electric bass? He played a Rick, not a Fender.

Another Rick user was Chris Brubeck who played a fretless one.

OK, so while the Rick is not common in jazz circles it can be used.

11. I plan on getting a 4003 incase that helps.

12. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    WIth the sounds you can get out of a Rick, I'm actually surprised more jazz guys don't use them. I borrowed one for a jazz gig once, the treble thing was great for solos and stuff.