Rickenbackers and the Big Bucks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mob, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Mob

Jan 12, 2005
    Hey evreyone,
    I am here to seek some info. I am in the market for a new bass, looking at getting a Hofner, but Rickenbacker has cauught my eye now and then. I am just wondering waht are the diffrent models like?? Is the 4003 the standard one or what?

Now the Big Bucks. What should I spend my money on? a Hofner or a Rickenbacker?
  2. I what spent my money on a ric. :p
  3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Yes, the 4003 is basically the "upgraded" version of the "classic" Rickenbacker.
    Your decision depends on what you're after, but between an Hofner and a Rickenbacker I'd take the RIC by all means.
    I used to own 4 in the past.

4. A Ric 4003 is the standard Ric bass. Expect to pay about $1000 for one new, unless it's the color of the year.
  5. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    For the difference in sound quality, including sustain, crisp notes, durability and versatility, I'd get a Ric. If you have trouble deciding, go with the Ric and a cheap Hofner copy, and you'd still be under the price of a Hofner.

I've currently got a Ric 4003 and a Jay Turser Hofner copy. The JT has a good Hofner vibe, and plays the role very well.
    Before I bought the Ric, I was thinking Hofner. What made me decide is the sound quality on the upper frets. The Ric, or a Fender USA, Music Man, and many of the higher end basses are incredible sounding all over the fretboard. The Hofners and clones are not---they lack depth and sustain from about the 9th fret up. Up to about the 7th fret, the Hofners, and most of the good copies, sound excellent, with a very deep upright sort of feel, thanks to the hollow body.
    This is not enough, though, for me to take a Hofner over a Ric. I would consider the Hofner as a luxury bass, one that enhances your collection and satisfies an urge. Let me also add that I will someday have a real Hofner, but I wouldn't part with the Ric to get one.

I could almost guarantee that if you go the Hofner route, you'll want a higher quality sounding bass, and still pine for a Ric. If you get the RIc first, you'll have your main bass, if you want it to be, for the rest of your life.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My choice would also be the Rick. :cool:
  7. AlexK

Apr 10, 2001
    I purchased a Ric a few months ago, and I love it. A new one should run you about a grand. A used one in good shape should be somewhere in the area of $700.
  8. Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    I'm looking to move a black ("Jetglo") Ric 4003, a week old, perfect & built in January 2005. Email if you're interested in saving a few bucks. If this post is inappropriate (Moderator), feel free to delete.
  9. Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I currently have 7 Ricks and I cannot find anything else that will match the sound I am getting...+++++++1 for the Ric
  10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I Love my Ric, and have always found the sound of the Hofners to be a little "thin" for my tastes, but you should play both before making your decision.

I'm NEVER selling my Ric. :bassist:
  11. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    My experience on this forum is you will ALWAYS get overwheming support for Ric's. You rarely hear Hofner's mentioned unless the discussion is McCartney. Ric's on the otherhand seem to infect their owners with pride and the need to express it. I've got a friend who has 3 and it's the only thing he'll play, which is about the average Ric owner's mindset. They are FANTASTIC instruments, that can make sounds you can't get anywhere else. They don't look or feel like anything else, built like a tank, time tested for decades. They aren't my bag, but then a lot of great things aren't
  12. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    yeah! defnly rick!
  13. [​IMG]

The best money I ever spent.....
  14. Mob

Jan 12, 2005
    Thanks for the replies
    still a bit torn apart from both. Thanks
    anyone else with there 2 cents it would be great
  15. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm never getting rid of my Rick either. :)