Rickenbackers New vs Old

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scooch, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Scooch

Mar 11, 2005
    I'm in the market for a Ric and I'm trying to do some research on them, can anyone tell me what they think of the new ones compared to the ones made in the 70s?

And more specifically what do you guys think about this?

I played it once and didn't like the flatwounds, I wish they would change them for me.
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Looks like a very nice 4001 MG !
    Seems genuine according to the year it is stated.
  3. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I've got a 74 4001 and a 03 4003 and love them both. I used to prefer the 4003 hands down, but then I did the .0047 cap removal on the 4001.

Highly recommended.
  4. Scooch

Mar 11, 2005
    What do you mean by cap removal? and what does HSC Fender mean?
  5. Fender Hard Shell Case.

I would go into the capacitor thing, but I dont have much time. Someone else surely will tohugh.
  6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Rickenbacker always installed 3 capacitors in their 4001 bass'.

Two of them were .047 and the third was .0047. The .0047 was placed in the circuit between the bridge pickup and the 3-way toggle pickup selector switch. It's purpose was to cut approx 50-60% of the low frequencies of the bridge pickup.

By removing or simply bypassing the .0047 cap, eliminated the cut in the output of the pickup, making a huge difference in the output of the bass.

4003 basses also had the .0047 cap factory installed in them up until the early 90's. Since they they've come without it.

7. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Necks are a bit chunkier on the 4003's which replaced the 4001's. Very good basses no matte which one(s) you choose. Much better consistant build quality that Fender IMHO.
  8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Looks nice. I like the older ones better, nicer necks, plus that contrasting stripe down the neck I haven't seen on the new ones.