1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbackers Overpriced?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jackajesusfreak, May 4, 2010.

1. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Being relatively new to the bass (a little over a year) I always 'assumed' that Rickenbackers were overpriced until I did some research. Boy was I wrong. Here's the top of the line prices I've researched for some other makes: (This does not include signature/anniversary models)

Fender: $2299.99
    Ibanez: $1899.99
    ESP: $1399.99
    Warwick: $4999.99
    Musicman: $2520.00
    Gibson: $2165.00
    Gretsch: $3299.99
    Modulus: $2569.00
    Peavey: $2399.99
    Warwick: $4999.99
    Yamaha: $2399.99

Of course this only includes brands available at GC. Not to mention Pedulla and the botiques!

Jack

2. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    I'm not sure if that's really equivalent though, since a lot of these manufacturers also have lower-end models aimed at the budget range. However, pretty much everything by Rickenbacker is expensive. I think even Warwick has some reasonably* inexpensive models.

*reasonably, of course, being a relative term

3. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009

I posed the same question in the Rick forums and was told that Rickenbacker preferred to concentrate their efforts on top of the line instruments rather than make lower end models. I know that they seem to have their hands full just keeping up with the top of the line, because if you place an order for one with any dealer your waiting time is minimum 2 years!!!

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Expensive =/= overpriced.

Generally "overpriced" has a value connotation, while "expensive" is simply relative to the cost.

5. For what it's worth, I'd take nearly any of the basses the OP listed before a rick.

Not only do they not do it for me, but the quality of them seems to have really gone down the pans. Theres been a few threads in recent years covering this, some of the problems are things I wouldnt expect to see in a £300 bass, let alone one almost 10 times that.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I personally am glad Rickenbacker offers no low end guitars/basses and none that are made overseas or in Mexico.

Gotta keep the riff-raff out of the Rickenbacker club, ya know. ;)

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    +1

I have a Ric and I'm happy that I do. At the end of the day that's what matters.

8. My Fender P5 cost me $1250 in Canadian dollars, which seems to be somewhere near the average Fender price. Which model are you looking at in that price range? Pricing those top-of-the-lines against an average-priced Ric will de-skew that list a lot.

For me, the Rics in Canada are sold for prices that come too close to boutique prices for them to be really 'worth it' to me. I feel that an off-the-peg bass should hover in the $1500 - $1800 range. And a two-year wait is also boutique territory. I find that expecting me to put out that kind of money and wait that long for a production-line bass to be kind of insulting.

That's just my opinion. The overpriced/worth it argument doesn't really have a right answer. There are a lot of guys who love Rics and would happily pay the price, in both time and money.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I disagree.

I bought a brand new RIC in Canada last week for just under $1700CAD. I walked into the store, saw it on the wall and walked out with it right on the spot. No wait at at all, let alone a 2 year wait.

The reality is this IMO in Canada and the US re: pricing (MIA basses only):

RIC 4003 - $1599 to $1799
    Fender American Standard - $1299 to $1399
    Gibson Thunderbird IV - $1399 to $1599
    EBMM Standard Stingray 4 - $1399 to $1599
    G&L (L-2000, ASAT, etc) - $1249 to $1499

All the afforementioned are pretty close in price. IMO, RIC resale blows away all of the others.

BTW... I am a Fender, EBMM, G&L guy much more than a RIC guy.

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    1600 - 1700 USD, not that bad, really, if you get a good one.

The 2100+ *Euros* it would cost me to buy one in Europe, there's your overpriced! I can(and have IMHO) get much more bass for that kind of cash here.

11. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I am glad that Ric doesn't sell cheap overseas junk. I don't have to put up with the posts from people that say their "allmost Ric" is just as good as a USA Ric

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    You can say a lot of things about John Hall, but the man isn't stupid and I have no issues with how he runs his company. Fake Rickenbackers piss me off. The bottom line is this, if you think they're overpriced, go get you a Mexican Fender.;)

13. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

Got one of those too! I like it. :D

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Well, there you go then.

15. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    I, too, was a bit incensed when Rick raised their retail prices nearly 40% a couple of years ago...and also discontinued lefties. :spit:

But here's the truth: Nearly everyone raised their prices substantially, including Fender, and the fact is for years Ricks were under-valued, especially on the vintage/used market. 10 years ago you could easily find a Rick for under a grand. So, are they overpriced or have we just been used to them being undervalued for so long? The answer is a little bit of both. Acquired sound/playability aside, they are far and away a superior made instrument than a stock MIA Fender, and this is coming from a die-hard Fender lover. Rick is still a small, MIA hand made operation, and while you may not think of them in the class of other boutique builders the fact is they are. Their stubbornness and reluctance to do what every other company has done in recent years (i.e. source out and produce lower end products or even improve upon archaic outdated design elements such as their bridges :rollno:) has actually worked in their favor, as evidenced by their continued popularity despite significant price hikes.

16. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    had one... didn't really dig the neck... sold it. I'll probably never have the scratch or the patience to wait for a new one.

They're too expensive... for me.

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

New ones can be had for under $1600 and they are in stock. If you don't like the necks though............

18. 4003's go for 2000 Euros and more in Europe. That's 2500 dollars. Lowest price I found, for new ones.
    A 4001 C64S MG is for sale on thomann.de (the best internet retailer in Europe, as in the cheapest with good customer services and great choice). That one goes for 4700 Euros, or close to 6200 USD. That is way overpriced. 100% more expensive than in the US.

19. bobwhite

bobwhite

Mar 11, 2010
    That is not overpriced--the price is the same; that is over-taxed with tariffs and VAT, and screwed by the bad exchange rate between the Euro and the Dollar.

I have never understood why so many Americans think we should follow Europe's lead in anything. We founded this place to get away from Europe's lead....:bag:

20. Fake rickenbackers haven't been sold in the US for about 30 years. You're still mad? That's an impressive grudge.
    When my Rickenbacker went down I bought a used Mexican P for a quick temporary replacement. At $200, I'm not sure anyone could argue that they're overpriced unless that individual were just looking to bitch about something. Lastly, and it gets posted here way too much but never sinks in, country of manufacture does not dictate quality. My MIM Fender is a budget instrument and was built to that pricepoint. No biggie. The newer ones are quite a bit nicer and the price has increased accordingly. Again, no biggie.

Mike